- •Muscle density of anterior gluteus minimus was significantly lower than that of posterior.
- •Muscle density of anterior gluteus minimus and height were the independent predictors for step.
- •Muscle density of anterior gluteus minimus was the only factor determining walking speed.
The purpose of this study is to investigate the relationship between gait and fat infiltration in anterior and posterior gluteus minimus in the patients with hip osteoarthritis.
Ninety-one female patients who were diagnosed as the unilateral hip osteoarthritis, classified into Kellgren-Lawrence global scoring system grades 3 or 4, and candidate for total hip arthroplasty were retrospectively reviewed. The horizontally cross-sectional regions of interest for the gluteus medius and anterior and posterior gluteus minimus were manually circumscribed in a single transaxial computed tomography image and muscle density of those regions were obtained. The gait was assessed as the step and speed with the 10-Meter Walk Test. The multiple regression analysis was used to compare the step and speed with age, height, range of motion in flexion, the muscle density of anterior gluteus minimus in the affected side, and that of gluteus medius muscle in both affected and unaffected sides.
Multiple regression analysis for step revealed that the muscle density of anterior gluteus minimus in the affected side and height were the independent predictors for step (R2 = 0.389, p < 0.001). That for speed identified the muscle density of anterior gluteus minimus in the affected side as the only factor determining speed (R2 = 0.287, p < 0.001).
The fatty infiltration of anterior gluteus minimus muscle in affected side can be a predictor for the gait in in female with unilateral hip osteoarthritis and candidates for total hip arthroplasty.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Biomechanics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gluteal tendinopathy and hip osteoarthritis: different pathologies, different hip biomechanics.Gait Posture. 2018; 61: 459-465
- The anatomy and function of the gluteus minimus muscle.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.). 2000; 82: 358-363
- Prevalence and pattern of gluteus medius and minimus tendon pathology and muscle atrophy in older individuals using MRI.Skelet. Radiol. 2015; 44: 1727-1733
- Hip joint mechanics during walking in individuals with mild-to-moderate hip osteoarthritis.Gait Posture. 2017; 53: 162-167
- Actions of hip muscles.Phys. Ther. 1986; 66: 351-361
- Sagittal plane gait characteristics in hip osteoarthritis patients with mild to moderate symptoms compared to healthy controls: a cross-sectional study.BMC Musculoskelet. Disord. 2012; 13: 258
- Muscle fat infiltration following whiplash: a computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging comparison.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0234061
- The anatomy of the hip abductor muscles.Clin. Anat. 2014; 27: 241-253
- Gluteus minimus and gluteus medius muscle activity during common rehabilitation exercises in healthy postmenopausal women.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2017; 47: 914-922
- A comparison of gluteus medius, gluteus minimus and tensor facia latae muscle activation during gait in post-menopausal women with and without greater trochanteric pain syndrome.J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2017; 33: 39-47
- Skeletal muscle attenuation determined by computed tomography is associated with skeletal muscle lipid content.J. Appl. Physiol. 2000; 89: 104-110
- Skeletal muscle attenuation determined by computed tomography is associated with skeletal muscle lipid content.J. Appl. Physiol. (1985). 2000; 89: 104-110
- Reliability of goniometric measurements and visual estimates of hip ROM in patients with osteoarthrosis.Physiother. Res. Int. 2000; 5: 241-248
- Functional characteristics associated with hip abductor torque in severe hip osteoarthritis.Musculoskelet. Sci. Pract. 2021; 55102431
- Recovery of muscle atrophy and fatty infiltration in patients with acetabular dysplasia after total hip arthroplasty.J. Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg. 2021; 30: e317-e326
- Development of a clinical prediction rule to identify physical activity after total hip arthroplasty.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2022; 103: 1975-1982
- Preoperative function and gender predict pattern of functional recovery after hip and knee arthroplasty.J. Arthroplast. 2006; 21: 559-566
- Reduced hip extension during walking: healthy elderly and fallers versus young adults.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2001; 82: 26-30
- Gluteal atrophy and fatty infiltration in end-stage osteoarthritis of the hip: a case-control study.Bone Jt Open. 2021; 2: 40-47
- Fatty degeneration of gluteus minimus muscle as a predictor of falls.Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 2015; 60: 59-61
- Anatomic correlates of reduced hip extension during walking in individuals with mild-moderate radiographic hip osteoarthritis.J. Orthop. Res. 2015; 33: 527-534
- Rehabilitation exercises for the gluteus minimus muscle segments: an electromyography study.J. Sport Rehabil. 2019; 28: 544-551
- MRI findings of gluteus minimus muscle damage in primary total hip arthroplasty and the influence on clinical outcome.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 2010; 130: 927-935
- Hip abductor strength and lower limb load on nonoperating predict functional mobility in women patients with Total hip arthroplasty.Am. J. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2021; 100: 72-76
- Preoperative prediction of ambulatory status at 6 months after total hip arthroplasty.Phys. Ther. 2013; 93: 88-93
- Factors associated with ambulatory status 6 months after total hip arthroplasty.Physiotherapy. 2014; 100: 263-267
- Importance of events per independent variable in proportional hazards regression analysis II. Accuracy and precision of regression estimates.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 1995; 48: 1503-1510
- Abductor tendons and muscles assessed at MR imaging after total hip arthroplasty in asymptomatic and symptomatic patients.Radiology. 2005; 235: 969-976
- Reduced muscle radiological density, cross-sectional area, and strength of major hip and knee muscles in 22 patients with hip osteoarthritis.Acta Orthop. 2007; 78: 505-510
- Subjects with hip osteoarthritis show distinctive patterns of trunk movements during gait-a body-fixed-sensor based analysis.J. Neuroeng. Rehabilit. 2012; 9: 1-8
- The gait deviation index is associated with hip muscle strength and patient-reported outcome in patients with severe hip osteoarthritis—a cross-sectional study.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0153177
- Optimal walking in terms of variability in step length.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 1997; 26: 266-272
- Verification of a standardized method for inserting intramuscular EMG electrodes into uniquely oriented segments of gluteus minimus and gluteus medius.Clin. Anat. 2013; 26: 244-252
- Gluteus minimus: an intramuscular EMG investigation of anterior and posterior segments during gait.Gait Posture. 2014; 39: 822-826
- Reliability of computed tomography measurements in assessment of thigh muscle cross-sectional area and attenuation.BMC Med. Imaging. 2010; 10: 1-8
- Fat infiltration in the gluteus minimus muscle in older adults.Clin. Interv. Aging. 2018; 13: 1011-1017
- Could the tendon degeneration and the fatty infiltration of the gluteus medius affect clinical outcome in total hip arthroplasty?.Int. Orthop. 2020; 44: 275-282
- Comparison of gait symmetry and joint moments in unilateral and bilateral hip osteoarthritis patients and healthy controls.Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 2021; 9756460
- Asymptomatic radiographic hip osteoarthritis is associated with gait differences, especially in women: a population-based study.Gait Posture. 2017; 54: 248-254
- Lateral hip pain: findings from magnetic resonance imaging and clinical examination.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2008; 38: 313-328
- Contractile property measurement of the torn supraspinatus muscle using real-time tissue elastography.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2018; 27: 1700-1704
- Influence of fat infiltration, tear size, and post-operative tendon integrity on muscle contractility of repaired supraspinatus muscle.Eur. J. Orthop. Surg. Traumatol. 2021; 32: 837-843
- Hip abductor muscle volume in hip osteoarthritis and matched controls.Osteoarthr. Cartil. 2016; 24: 1727-1735
Published online: February 20, 2023
Accepted: February 16, 2023
Received: November 14, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.