- •The removing characteristics of tracheal foreign bodies by baskets are investigated.
- •The geometric relationship model that the foreign bodies are removed by the baskets is established.
- •The contact mechanics model that foreign bodies are removed by the baskets are established.
Foreign body aspiration is a prevalent respiratory disease in life. There is a lack of relevant research on removing foreign bodies. The process that foreign bodies are removing with baskets is very complicated and the relevant theoretical research is immature.
The characteristics of the basket to remove foreign bodies in the trachea were analyzed. According to the geometric and force relationship between the basket, the foreign body and the trachea, the geometric relationship model and mechanical model are established, and validated by finite element analysis and experiments.
The simulation results and experimental results show that the simulation curves of the contact force between the baskets and the foreign bodies, and the simulation curves of the contact force between the basket and the trachea are the same as the theoretical curve. Therefore, the geometric relationship model and mechanical model have reference values.
These results can not only improve the quality of the operation, and shorten the operation time, but also provide a theoretical basis for automatic removal of foreign bodies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Biomechanics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Endoscopic removal of tracheobronchial foreign bodies: results on a series of 51 pediatric patients[J].Pediatr. Surg. Int. 2020; 36: 941-951https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-020-04685-1
- Investigation on puncture mechanical performance of tracheal tissue.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2021; 125104958https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2021.104958
- Stress Analysis for Actuating Station of Laparoscopic Clamp and Research on Interaction with Soft Tissue.(PhD diss.) Southwest Jiaotong University, 2015
- Coherence study of the types of foreign bodies in the trachea and operation difficulty.Chi. J. Otorhinolaryngol. Integr. Med. 2018; 26: 58-60https://doi.org/10.16542/j.cnki.issn.1007-4856.2018.01.017
- Mechanical characterization and constitutive modeling of human Trachea: age and gender dependency[J].Materials. 2016; 9: 456https://doi.org/10.3390/ma9060456
- Clinical analysis of 674 cases of foreign bodies aspiration in the respiratory tract in children.J. Wenzhou Med. Univ. 2017; 47: 916-918https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.2095-9400.2017.12.014
- Analysis of a functionally graded compliant mechanism surgical grasper.in: International Conference on Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robots. 2018: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1109/REMAR.2018.8449868
- Analysis of related factors of respiratory tract foreign bodies in 232 children.Chin. J. Otorhinolaryngol. Skull Base Surg. 2019; 25: 397-401https://doi.org/10.11798/j.issn.1007-1520.201904013
- Design and optimization of hybrid compliant narrow-gauge surgical forceps.Smart Mater. Adapt. Struct. Intell. Syst. 2010; 44151: 779-788
- Endoscopic removal of tracheobronchial foreign bodies: results on a series of 51 pediatric patients[J].Pediatr. Surg. Int. 2020; 36https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-020-04685-1
- Design and Optimization of New Medical Compliant Microforceps.Guangdong University of Technology, PhD diss2014
- Static mechanical property and finite element analysis of typical of peanut varieties.J. Shenyang Agric. Univ. 2016; 47: 307-313https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1000-1700.2016.03.008
Published online: February 10, 2023
Accepted: February 3, 2023
Received: May 5, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.