- •A new attempt to measure the median nerve strain within the carpal tunnel using an elastic sensor.
- •The median nerve strain within the carpal tunnel was higher than that proximal to the carpal tunnel.
- •Nerve excursion within the carpal tunnel was not different from that proximal to the carpal tunnel.
- •The median nerve strain and excursion were unaffected by carpal tunnel release.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Strain on the ulnar nerve at the elbow and wrist during throwing motion.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Am. Vol.). 2005; 87: 2508-2514https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.D.02989
- Prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome in a general population.JAMA. 1999; 282: 153https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.2.153
- Displacement and strain of the median nerve at the wrist.J. Hand Surg. 1997; 22: 621-627https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-5023(97)80118-9
- Splinting for carpal tunnel syndrome: in search of the optimal angle.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 1994; 75: 1241-1244https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9993(94)90012-4
- Strain in the median and ulnar nerves during upper-extremity positioning.J. Hand Surg. 2002; 27: 1032-1040https://doi.org/10.1053/jhsu.2002.35886
- Nerve tension and blood flow in a rat model of immediate and delayed repairs.J. Hand Surg. 1992; 17: 677-687https://doi.org/10.1016/0363-5023(92)90316-h
- Quantitative in vivo studies of median nerve sliding in response to wrist, elbow, shoulder and neck movements.Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon). 2003; 18: 899-907https://doi.org/10.1016/s0268-0033(03)00176-1
- Is there a relationship between impaired median nerve excursion and carpal tunnel syndrome? A systematic review.J. Hand Ther. 2017; 30: 3-12.doihttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2016.09.002
- Ultrasound-guided hydrodissection decreases gliding resistance of the median nerve within the carpal tunnel.Muscle Nerve. 2018; 57: 25-32https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.25723
- The biomechanics of subsynovial connective tissue in health and its role in carpal tunnel syndrome.J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2018; 38: 232-239https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2017.10.007
- The carpal tunnel syndrome. A study of carpal canal pressures.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1981; 63: 380-383
- Changes in interstitial pressure and cross-sectional area of the cubital tunnel and of the ulnar nerve with flexion of the elbow. An experimental study in human cadavera.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1998; 80: 492-501https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199804000-00005
- Ulnar nerve strains at the elbow: the effect of in situ decompression and medial epicondylectomy.J. Hand Surg. 2002; 27: 1026-1031https://doi.org/10.1053/jhsu.2002.35870
- Intraoperative measurement of pressure adjacent to the ulnar nerve in patients with cubital tunnel syndrome.J. Hand Surg. 2006; 31: 553-558https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2006.01.009
- A guideline of selecting and reporting Intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.J. Chiropractic Med. 2016; 15: 155-163https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2016.02.012
- Ultrasound elastography for carpal tunnel pressure measurement: a cadaveric validation study.J. Orthop. Res. 2018; 36: 477-483https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.23658
- Measurement of strain and tensile force of the supraspinatus tendon under conditions that simulates low angle isometric elevation of the gleno-humeral joint: influence of adduction torque and joint positioning.Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon). 2017; 50: 92-98https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2017.10.014
- Incidence of ulnar neuropathy at the elbow in the province of Siena (Italy).J. Neurol. Sci. 2005; 234: 5-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2005.02.010
- Three-dimensional analysis of the attachment and path of the transverse carpal ligament.J. Nippon Med. Sch. 2015; 82: 130-135https://doi.org/10.1272/jnms.82.130
- Ulnar nerve strain at the elbow in patients with cubital tunnel syndrome: effect of simple decompression.J. Hand Surg. Eur. 2013; 38: 474-480https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193412465234
- Blood flow of peripheral nerve effects of dissection, stretching and compression.J. Hand Surg. (Edinburgh, Scotland). 1986; 11: 10-14https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-7681(86)90003-3
- Morphological analysis of the transverse carpal ligament.Hand (N Y). 2010; 5: 135-140https://doi.org/10.1007/s11552-009-9219-2
- [The gliding tissue of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel].Handchir. Mikrochir. Plast. Chir. 1990; 22: 203-205. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2391039/
- Effect of wrist and finger flexion in relation to strain on the tendon origin of the extensor carpi radialis brevis: a cadaveric study simulating stretching exercises.Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon). 2017; 49: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2017.08.008
- Median Nerve Displacement through the Carpal Canal.Journal of Hand Surgery-American. 1994; 19a: 901-906.doihttps://doi.org/10.1016/0363-5023(94)90087-6
- Effect of distal radius volar plate position on contact pressure between the flexor pollicis longus tendon and the distal plate edge.J. Hand Surg. 2011; 36: 1790-1797https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2011.08.027
- Quantitative evaluation of ankle instability using a capacitance-type strain sensor.Foot Ankle Int. 2021; 42: 1074-1080https://doi.org/10.1177/1071100721996714
- Median nerve excursion in response to wrist movement after endoscopic and open carpal tunnel release.J. Hand Surg. Am. 2008; 33: 1063-1068.doihttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2008.03.007
- The implication of repeated versus continuous strain on nerve function in a rat forelimb model.J. Hand Surg. 2001; 26: 663-669https://doi.org/10.1053/jhsu.2001.24142
- Position of the wrist associated with the lowest carpal-tunnel pressure: implications for splint design.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Am. Vol.). 1995; 77: 1695-1699https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199511000-00008
- Excursion and strain of the median nerve.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Am. Vol.). 1996; 78: 1897-1903https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199612000-00013
- Relative longitudinal motion of the finger flexors, subsynovial connective tissue, and median nerve before and after carpal tunnel release in a human cadaver model.J. Hand Surg. 2008; 33: 888-892https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2008.02.017
- Rapid prototyping human interfaces using stretchable strain sensor.J. Sensors. 2017; 2017 (Artn 989375810.1155/2017/9893758): 1-9
- The effect of wrist position on the relative motion of tendon, nerve, and subsynovial connective tissue within the carpal tunnel in a human cadaver model.J. Orthop. Res. 2008; 26: 1153-1158https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.20640