- •Whole bone femoral bending behaviors of skeletally mature rats was investigated.
- •Marked differences were found between young adult and late-middle-aged rats.
- •Findings suggest adult rat femurs modify continuously with age.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Age-related changes in physicochemical properties of mineral crystals are related to impaired mechanical function of cortical bone.Bone. 2004; 34: 443-453https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2003.11.003
- Comparative bone anatomy of commonly used laboratory animals: implications for drug discovery.Comp. Med. 2011; 61: 76-85
- Growing C57B1/6 mice increase whole bone mechanical properties by increasing geometric and material properties.J. Bone Miner. Res. 1999; 14: 2159-2166https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.19220.127.116.119
- Skeletal aging and osteoporosis: mechanisms and therapeutics.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021; 22https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22073553
- Age-related changes to macrophages are detrimental to fracture healing in mice.Aging Cell. 2020; 19: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1111/acel.13112
- Cortical bone mass, composition, and mechanical properties in female rats in relation to age, long-term ovariectomy, and estrogen substitution.Calcif. Tissue Int. 1993; 52: 26-33https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00675623
- Effects of reproduction on sexual dimorphisms in rat bone mechanics.J. Biomech. 2018; 77: 40-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.06.023
- Age dependence of systemic bone loss and recovery following femur fracture in mice.J. Bone Miner. Res. 2019; 34: 157-170https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.3579
- Trabecular and endocortical bone surfaces in the rat: modeling or remodeling?.Anat. Rec. 1996; 246: 39-46https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0185(199609)246:1<39::AID-AR5>3.0.CO;2-A
- Effects of long-term voluntary wheel exercise on male and female wistar rats. Part 1. Longevity, body weight, and metabolic rate.Gerontology. 1980; 26: 22-33
- Bone healing in an aged murine fracture model is characterized by sustained callus inflammation and decreased cell proliferation.J. Orthop. Res. 2018; 36: 149-158https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.23652
- Does age matter? The impact of rodent age on study outcomes.Lab. Anim. 2017; 51: 160-169https://doi.org/10.1177/0023677216653984
- The amount of periosteal apposition required to maintain bone strength during aging depends on adult bone morphology and tissue-modulus degradation rate.J. Bone Miner. Res. 2012; 27: 1916-1926https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.1643
- The ovariectomized rat model of postmenopa bone loss.Bone Min. 1991; 15: 175-191
- Geometric, elastic, and structural properties of maturing rat femora.J. Orthop. Res. 1986; 4: 57-67https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.1100040107
- The laboratory rat as an animal model for osteoporosis research.Comp. Med. 2008; 58: 424-430
- Time course of epiphyseal growth plate fusion in rat tibiae.Bone. 2003; 32: 261-267https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(02)00983-3
- The laboratory rat: relating its age with human’s.Int. J. Prev. Med. 2013; 4: 624-630
- Rat bone properties and their relationship to gait during growth.J. Exp. Biol. 2019; 222https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.203554
- Variability in skeletal mass, structure, and biomechanical properties among inbred strains of rats.J. Bone Miner. Res. 2001; 16: 1532-1539https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.8.1532
- Age-related changes in the fracture resistance of male Fischer F344 rat bone.Bone. 2016; 83: 220-232https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2015.11.009
- Effects of aging and caloric restriction on bone structure and mechanical properties.J. Gerontol.- Series A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2008; 63: 1131-1136https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/63.11.1131