- •Maximum semitendinosus muscle-tendon unit length in vivo was 105% slack length.
- •Knee immobilization decreased knee joint extension range of motion.
- •Immobilization stiffened muscle within limit of muscle-tendon unit length in vivo.
- •Muscle stiffness matched the control beyond limit of muscle-tendon unit length.
- •Collagen content of semitendinosus muscle slightly increased with immobilization.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Collagen crosslinking does not dictate stiffness in a transgenic mouse model of skeletal muscle fibrosis.J. Biomech. 2015; 48: 375-378
- Joint contracture following prolonged stay in the intensive care unit.Cmaj. 2008; 178: 691-697
- Passive extensibility of skeletal muscle: review of the literature with clinical implications.Clin. Biomech. 2001; 16: 87-101
- The passive mechanical properties of the extensor digitorum longus muscle are compromised in 2- to 20-mo-old mdx mice.J. Appl. Physiol. 2011; 1985: 1656-1663
- Rest length and compliance of non-immobilised and immobilised rabbit soleus muscle and tendon.Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. Occup. Physiol. 1997; 76: 472-479
- Relationship between extensibility and collagen expression in immobilized rat skeletal muscle.Muscle Nerve. 2018; 57: 672-678
- Total knee arthroplasty for severe flexion contracture in rheumatoid arthritis knees.Knee Surg Relat Res. 2016; 28: 325-329
- Effect of the position of immobilization upon the tensile properties of the rat gastrocnemius muscle.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 1992; 73: 253-257
- Organization and distribution of intramuscular connective tissue in normal and immobilized skeletal muscles. An immunohistochemical, polarization and scanning electron microscopic study.J. Muscle Res. Cell Motil. 2002; 23: 245-254
- Development of arthrogenic joint contracture as a result of pathological changes in remobilized rat knees.Journal of orthopaedic research : official publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2017; 35: 1414-1423
- Nociception contributes to the formation of myogenic contracture in the early phase of adjuvant-induced arthritis in a rat knee.Journal of orthopaedic research : official publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2017; 35: 1404-1413
- Morphological and biomechanical adaptations of skeletal muscle in the recovery phase after immobilization in a rat.Clin. Biomech. 2020; 75104992
- Muscle mechanical properties of adult and older rats submitted to exercise after immobilization.Acta Ortop Bras. 2012; 20: 218-222
- Half of the adults who present to hospital with stroke develop at least one contracture within six months: an observational study.J Physiother. 2012; 58: 41-47
- Inferior mechanical properties of spastic muscle bundles due to hypertrophic but compromised extracellular matrix material.Muscle Nerve. 2003; 28: 464-471
- Short-term immobilization causes morphometric and mechanical alterations on rat muscles.Braz J Phys Ther. 2007; 11: 261-266
- Larger muscle fibers and fiber bundles manifest smaller elastic modulus in paraspinal muscles of rats and humans.Sci. Rep. 2021; 11: 18565
- Contributions of biarticular myogenic components to the limitation of the range of motion after immobilization of rat knee joint.BMC Musculoskelet. Disord. 2014; 15: 224
- The determination of hydroxyproline.J. Biol. Chem. 1950; 184: 299-306
- Effects of reduced joint mobility on sarcomere length, collagen fibril arrangement in the endomysium, and hyaluronan in rat soleus muscle.J. Muscle Res. Cell Motil. 2004; 25: 159-166
- Biomechanical effects of immobilization and rehabilitation on the skeletal muscle of trained and sedentary rats.Ann. Biomed. Eng. 2008; 36: 1641-1648
- Regulation of connective tissue remodeling in the early phase of denervation in a rat skeletal muscle.Biomed. Res. 2013; 34: 251-258
- Collagen content does not alter the passive mechanical properties of fibrotic skeletal muscle in mdx mice.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2014; 306: C889-C898
- Contractures secondary to immobility: is the restriction articular or muscular? An experimental longitudinal study in the rat knee.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2000; 81: 6-13
- Disuse-induced preferential loss of the giant protein titin depresses muscle performance via abnormal sarcomeric organization.J Gen Physiol. 2008; 131: 33-41
- Non-linear scaling of passive mechanical properties in fibers, bundles, fascicles and whole rabbit muscles.Front. Physiol. 2020; 11: 211
- Connective tissue changes in immobilized muscle.J. Anat. 1984; 138: 343-350
- Intrinsic stiffness of extracellular matrix increases with age in skeletal muscles of mice.J. Appl. Physiol. 2014; 1985: 363-369
- Contractures complicating spinal cord injury: incidence and comparison between spinal cord Centre and general hospital acute care.Paraplegia. 1985; 23: 265-271