- •Scapulothoracic kinematics are significantly altered in anterior instability vs. controls.
- •In abduction reduced glenohumeral motion is compensated by increased scapular rotation.
- •In apprehension position greater glenohumeral joint angles, but normal humeral translation.
- •This suggests altered neuromuscular control of the unstable shoulder.
- •The observed differences in shoulder kinematics may be used for targeted rehabilitation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hypermodibility scoring.Rheumatology. 1988; 27: 163https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/27.2.163
- Recurrent anterior subluxation of the shoulder in athletes - a distinct entity. Proceedings of the american academy of orthopaedic surgeons.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1969; 51: 1037
- Traumatic glenohumeral bone defects and their relationship to failure of arthroscopic Bankart repairs: significance of the inverted-pear glenoid and the humeral engaging Hill-Sachs lesion.Arthrosc. J. Arthrosc. Relat. Surg. 2000; 16: 677-694https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2000.17715
- Neural correlates of clinical scores in patients with anterior shoulder apprehension.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2015; 47
- Biomechanical analysis of the effect of congruence, depth and radius on the stability ratio of a simplistic ‘ball-and-socket’ joint model.Bone Joint Res. 2016; 5: 453-460https://doi.org/10.1302/2046-3758.510.BJR-2016-0078.R1
- Arthroscopic versus open iliac crest bone grafting in recurrent anterior shoulder instability with glenoid bone loss: a computed tomography–based quantitative assessment.Arthrosc. J. Arthrosc. Relat. Surg. 2018; 34: 352-359https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2017.07.034
- Long-term results of the arthroscopic bankart repair for recurrent anterior shoulder instability in patients older than 40 years: a comparison with the open latarjet procedure.Am. J. Sports Med. 2020; 48: 2090-2096https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546520931090
- Salvage iliac crest bone grafting for a failed latarjet procedure: analysis of failed and successful procedures.Am. J. Sports Med. 2021; 49: 3620-3627https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465211040468
- Classification of glenohumeral joint instability.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 2002; 400
- The effect of a glenoid defect on anteroinferior stability of the shoulder after bankart repair: a cadaveric study*.JBJS. 2000; 82
- Muscle activation patterns in patients with recurrent shoulder instability.Int. J. Shoulder Surg. 2012; 6: 101-107https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6042.106221
- Does surgery for instability of the shoulder truly stabilize the glenohumeral joint? A prospective comparative cohort study.Medicine. 2016; 95
- Shoulder apprehension: a multifactorial approach.EFORT Open Rev. 2018; 3: 550-557https://doi.org/10.1302/2058-5241.3.180007
- Proprioception of the shoulder joint in healthy, unstable, and surgically repaired shoulders.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 1994; 3: 371-380https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(09)80022-0
- Bilateral shoulder proprioception deficit in unilateral anterior shoulder instability.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2019; 28: 561-569https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2018.08.034
- The association of scapular kinematics and glenohumeral joint pathologies.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2009; 39: 90-104https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2009.2808
- The unstable shoulder in arm elevation: a three-dimensional and electromyographic study in subjects with glenohumeral instability.Clin. Biomech. 2006; 21: S52-S58https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2005.09.014
- Dynamic in vivo glenohumeral kinematics during scapular plane abduction in healthy shoulders.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2012; 42: 96-104https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2012.3584
- Shoulder-pacemaker treatment concept for posterior positional functional shoulder instability: a prospective clinical trial.Am. J. Sports Med. 2020; 48: 2097-2104https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546520933841
- Determination of in vivo glenohumeral translation using fluoroscopy and shape-matching techniques.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2008; 17: 319-322https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2007.05.018
- Predicting Recurrent Instability of the Shoulder (PRIS): a valid tool to predict which patients will not have repeat shoulder instability after first-time traumatic anterior dislocation.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2020; 50: 431-437https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2020.9284
- The immediate and subsequent impact of a first-time traumatic anterior shoulder dislocation in people aged 16–40: Results from a national cohort study.Should. Elb. 2021; 13: 223-232https://doi.org/10.1177/1758573220921484
- Shoulder kinematics with two-plane x-ray evaluation in patients with anterior instability or rotator cuff tearing.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 1997; 6: 516-527https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(97)90084-7
- Dislocation arthropathy of the shoulder.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1983; 65: 456-460
- Scapular positioning and movement in unimpaired shoulders, shoulder impingement syndrome, and glenohumeral instability.Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports. 2011; 21: 352-358https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01274.x
- Subject-specific musculoskeletal modeling in the evaluation of shoulder muscle and joint function.J. Biomech. 2016; 49: 3626-3634https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.09.025
- Contact between the glenoid and the humeral head in abduction, external rotation, and horizontal extension: a new concept of glenoid track.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2007; 16: 649-656https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2006.12.012
- Brain activity in the right-frontal pole and lateral occipital cortex predicts successful post-operatory outcome after surgery for anterior glenoumeral instability.Sci. Rep. 2017; 7: 498https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-00518-9
- Long-term restoration of anterior shoulder stability: a retrospective analysis of arthroscopic bankart repair versus open latarjet procedure.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2016; 98: 1954-1961https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.15.01398
- The effect of instability and subsequent anterior shoulder repair on proprioceptive ability.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2003; 12: 105-109https://doi.org/10.1067/mse.2003.4