- •The optimum plate model was designed as an alternative to the conventional plate.
- •Proposed approach significantly reduced computation time.
- •Higher reliability for the optimum plate was achieved.
- •Stiffness of the fixation plate was significantly reduced.
Due to high stiffness, metal fixation plates are prone to stress shielding of the peri-prosthetic bones, leading to bone loss. Therefore, it has become important to design implants with reduced rigidity but increased load-carrying capacity. Considering the uncertainties in the parameters affecting the implant-bone structure is critical in making more reliable implant designs. In this study, a Response Surface Method based Reliability-based Topology Optimization approach was proposed to design a fixation plate for humerus fracture having less stiffness than the conventional plate.
The design of the fixation plate was described as an Reliability-based Topology Optimization problem in which the probabilistic constraint was replaced with a meta-model generated using the Kriging method. The artificial humerus bone model was scanned, and the 3D simulation model was used in the finite element analysis required in the solution. The optimum plate was manufactured using Selective Laser Melting. Both designs were experimentally compared in terms of rigidity.
The volume of the conventional plate was reduced from 2512.5 mm3 to 1667.3 mm3; nevertheless, the optimum plate had almost one-third less rigidity than the conventional plate. The probability of failure of the conventional plate was computed as 0.994. However, this value was almost half for the optimum fixation plate.
The studies showed that the new fixation plate design was less rigid but more reliable than the conventional one. The computation time required to have the optimum plate was reduced by one-tenth by applying the Response Surface Method for the Reliability-based Topology Optimization problem.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Biomechanics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Stress analysis in a bone fracture fixed with topology-optimized plates.Biomech. Model. Mechanobiol. 2020; 19: 693-699https://doi.org/10.1007/s10237-019-01240-3
- In vivo glenohumeral contact forces—measurements in the first patient 7 months postoperatively.J. Biomech. 2007; 40: 2139-2149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2006.10.037
- Structural reliability analysis using Monte Carlo simulation and neural networks.Adv. Eng. Softw. 2008; 39: 505-513https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2007.03.015
- Biomechanical evaluation of proximal tibial behavior following unicondylar knee arthroplasty: modified resected surface with corresponding surgical technique.Med. Eng. Phys. 2011; 33: 1175-1182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2011.05.007
- The influence of stiffness of the fixator on maturation of callus after segmental transport.J. Bone Joint Surg. 2000; 82-B: 142-148https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.82B1.0820142
- The mode of interfragmentary movement affects bone formation and revascularization after callus distraction.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0202702https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0202702
- Multiple design points in first and second-order reliability.Struct. Saf. 1998; 20: 37-49https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(97)00026-X
- Theoretical modelling and experimental characterization of composite material for ulna bone plate application.in: Materials Today: Proceedings, International Conference on Smart and Sustainable Developments in Materials, Manufacturing and Energy Engineering. 46. 2021: 2580-2586https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.02.075
- Reliability-based topology optimization using a standard response surface method for three-dimensional structures.Struct. Multidiscip. Optim. 2011; 43: 287-295https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-010-0569-8
- Mechanobiology of bone healing and regeneration: in vivo models.Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. H. 2010; 224: 1543-1553https://doi.org/10.1243/09544119JEIM808
- Relative stability of conventional and locked plating fixation in a model of the osteoporotic femoral diaphysis.Clin. Biomech. 2009; 24: 203-209https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2008.11.002
- Bone fracture healing in mechanobiological modeling: a review of principles and methods.Bone Rep. 2017; 6: 87-100https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bonr.2017.03.002
- Reliability based geometrically nonlinear bi-directional evolutionary structural optimization of elasto-plastic material.Sci. Rep. 2022; 12: 5989https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-09612-z
- A general multi-objective topology optimization methodology developed for customized design of pelvic prostheses.Med. Eng. Phys. 2019; 69: 8-16https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2019.06.008
- Recent advances in mechanobiological modeling of bone regeneration.in: Mechanics Research Communications, Recent Advances in the Biomechanics of Growth and Remodeling. 42. 2012: 22-31https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2011.11.006
- Revision total elbow arthroplasty using intramedullary strut allograft for aseptic loosening of the humeral stem.in: JSES Reviews, Reports, and Techniques. 2022https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xrrt.2022.02.004
- Biomechanical evaluation of glass fiber/polypropylene composite bone fracture fixation plates: experimental and numerical analysis.Comput. Biol. Med. 2021; 132104303https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compbiomed.2021.104303
- Callus response to micromovement after elongation in the rabbit.J. Pediatr. Orthop. 1996; 16: 480-483https://doi.org/10.1097/00004694-199607000-00011
- Application of kriging method to structural reliability problems.Struct. Saf. 2005; 27: 133-151https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2004.09.001
- A response surface method based on weighted regression for structural reliability analysis.Prob. Eng. Mech. 2005; 20: 11-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2004.05.005
- Integration of reliability analysis into mini-plate fixation strategy used in human mandible fractures: convalescence and healing periods.Acta Bioeng. Biomech. 2017; 19: 13-23
- Influence of bone anisotropy on reliability assessment of mini-plate fixation system stabilization in symphysis mandibular fractures: two studied cases under convalescence period.IncertFia. 2019; 3https://doi.org/10.21494/ISTE.OP.2019.0438
- Finite element analysis using interfragmentary strain theory for the fracture healing process to which composite bone plates are applied.Compos. Struct. 2011; 93: 2953-2962https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2011.05.008
- Structural reliability analysis using DOProC method.in: Procedia Engineering, Proceeding of Sustainable Development of Civil, Urban and Transportation Engineering. 142. 2016: 34-41https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.02.010
- Effect of weightbearing on bone formation during distraction osteogenesis.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 2004; 419: 251-257
- Finite element analysis of fracture fixation.Curr. Osteoporos. Rep. 2021; 19: 403-416https://doi.org/10.1007/s11914-021-00690-y
- Finite-element syntheses of callus and bone remodeling: biomechanical study of fracture healing in long bones.Anat. Rec. 2018; 301: 2112-2121https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.23893
- A customized fixation plate with novel structure designed by topological optimization for mandibular angle fracture based on finite element analysis.Biomed. Eng. Online. 2017; 16: 131https://doi.org/10.1186/s12938-017-0422-z
- Biomechanical investigation of a novel hybrid dorsal double plating for distal radius fractures by integrating topology optimization and finite element analysis.Injury. 2020; 51: 1271-1280https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2020.03.011
- Mechanical interaction between additive-manufactured metal lattice structures and bone in compression: implications for stress shielding of orthopaedic implants.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2021; 121104608https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2021.104608
- Optimal mechanical environment of the healing bone fracture/osteotomy.Int. Orthop. 2012; 36: 689-695https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-012-1487-8
- A new porous fixation plate design using the topology optimization.Med. Eng. Phys. 2021; 92: 18-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2021.04.003
- Are locking screws advantageous with plate fixation of humeral shaft fractures? A biomechanical analysis of synthetic and cadaveric bone.J. Orthop. Trauma. 2008; 22: 709-715https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e31818df8cb
- Stability of unicortical locked fixation versus bicortical non-locked fixation for forearm fractures.Bone Res. 2014; 2: 14014https://doi.org/10.1038/boneres.2014.14
- Role of mathematical modeling in bone fracture healing.Bonekey Rep. 2012; 1: 221https://doi.org/10.1038/bonekey.2012.221
- Metallic biomaterials: current challenges and opportunities.Materials. 2017; 10: 884https://doi.org/10.3390/ma10080884
- Bone remodelling of the scapula after a total shoulder arthroplasty.Biomech. Model. Mechanobiol. 2014; 13: 827-838https://doi.org/10.1007/s10237-013-0537-5
- The effect of different interference fits on the primary fixation of a cementless femoral component during experimental testing.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2021; 113104189https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2020.104189
- Primary linked semiconstrained total elbow arthroplasty for rheumatoid arthritis: a single-institution experience with 461 elbows over three decades.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2016; 98: 1741-1748https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.15.00649
- Mechanical Behavior of ZM21 Magnesium Alloy Locking Plates – An Experimental and Finite Element Study. Materials Today: Proceedings, International Conference and Expo on Magnesium, iMagCon2016.VIT University, Chennai Campus2017: 6728-6736https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.06.448 (February 4–6, 2016 4)
- Approximation methods in multidisciplinary analysis and optimization: a panel discussion.Struct. Multidiscip. Optim. 2004; 27: 302-313https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-004-0389-9
- Experiment study on fracture fixation with low rigidity titanium alloy.J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 2008; 19: 1581-1586https://doi.org/10.1007/s10856-008-3372-y
- Effects of bone-plate materials on the healing process of fractured tibia bone under time-varying conditions: a finite element analysis.Mater. Res. Express. 2021; 8095308https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ac24f8
- Additive manufacturing of fracture fixation implants: design, material characterization, biomechanical modeling and experimentation.Addit. Manuf. 2020; 33101137https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2020.101137
- Time-dependent in silico modelling of orthognathic surgery to support the design of biodegradable bone plates.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2021; 121104641https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2021.104641
- Time-dependent topology optimization of bone plates considering bone remodeling.Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng. 2020; 359112702https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2019.112702
- An efficient approach to reliability-based topology optimization for the structural lightweight design of planar continuum structures.J. Mech. 2021; 37: 270-281https://doi.org/10.1093/jom/ufaa019
- Accumulation of aluminium in lamellar bone after implantation of titanium plates, Ti–6Al–4V screws, hydroxyapatite granules.Biomaterials. 2004; 25: 3837-3844https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2003.10.020
- Biomechanical effect of the configuration of screw hole style on locking plate fixation in proximal humerus fracture with a simulated gap: a finite element analysis.Injury. 2016; 47: 1191-1195https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2016.02.028
- Reliability-based topology optimization using stochastic response surface method with sparse grid design.Math. Probl. Eng. 2015; 2015e487686https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/487686
- A comparison of deterministic, reliability-based topology optimization under uncertainties.Acta Mech. Solida Sin. 2016; 29: 31-45https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-9166(16)60005-8
Published online: September 15, 2022
Accepted: September 12, 2022
Received: July 19, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.