- •We measured shear elastic modulus of brachioradialis and biceps of stroke patients.
- •Clinical scales and shear elastic modulus were compared using several tests.
- •Spastic muscles presented larger shear elastic modulus than nonspastic.
- •Shear elastic modulus correlates differently regarding the clinical scale.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Intra-rater reliability of the modified modified Ashworth scale (MMAS) in the assessment of upper-limb muscle spasticity.NeuroRehabilitation. 2012; 31 (Jan [cited 2013 Apr 3]): 215-222
- Strain sonoelastographic evaluation of biceps muscle intrinsic stiffness after botulinum toxin-A injection.Top. Stroke Rehabilit. 2017; 24: 12-17https://doi.org/10.1080/10749357.2016.1183865
- Study of viscous and elastic properties of soft tissues using supersonic shear imaging.in: IEEE Symposium on Ultrasonics. IEEE, 2003: 925-928
- Supersonic shear imaging: a new technique for soft tissue elasticity mapping.IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control. 2004 Apr; 51: 396-409
- Interrater reliability of a modified Ashworth scale of muscle spasticity.Phys. Ther. 1987 Feb; 67: 206-207
- Pathophysiology of spasticity in stroke.Neurology. 2013 Jan 15; 80: S20-S26
- OpenSim: open-source software to create and analyze dynamic simulations of movement.IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 2007; 54: 1940-1950
- Spastic movement disorder: impaired reflex function and altered muscle mechanics.Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6: 725-733https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(07)70193-X
- Shear wave elastography characteristics of upper limb muscle in rigidity-dominant Parkinson's disease.Neurol. Sci. 2021; 42: 4155-4162
- Ultrasound elastography for imaging tendons and muscles.J. Ultrason. 2012 Jun; 12: 214-225
- Shear wave elastography of passive skeletal muscle stiffness: influences of sex and age throughout adulthood.Clin. Biomech. 2015; 30: 22-27
- The human and economic burden of poststroke spasticity and muscle overactivity.JCOM. 2011; 18: 607-614
- The post-stroke hemiplegic patient. 1. A method for evaluation of physical performance.Scand. J. Rehabil. Med. 1975; 7 (Jan [cited 2013 Mar 12]): 13-31
- Altered contractile properties of the gastrocnemius muscle poststroke.J. Appl. Physiol. 2008 Dec; 105 ([cited 2014 Jul 29]): 1802-1808
- The Fugl-Meyer assessment of motor recovery after stroke: a critical review of its measurement properties.Neurorehabil. Neural Repair. 2002 Sep; 16: 232-240
- Multivariate Data Analysis: A Global Perspective.7th ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River2009
- Measures of Effect Size Toolbox.GitHub, 2021 (Retrieved August 20, 2021)
- Post-stroke spasticity: a review of epidemiology, pathophysiology, and treatments.Int. J. Gerontol. 2018 Dec; 12: 280-284
- Calculating and reporting effect sizes to facilitate cumulative science: a practical primer for t-tests and ANOVAs.Front. Psychol. 2013; 4: 863
- Effects of stroke injury on the shear modulus of the lower leg muscle during passive dorsiflexion.J. Appl. Physiol. 2019 Jan 1; 126: 11-22
- Quantitative analysis of the velocity related pathophysiology of spasticity and rigidity in the elbow flexors.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2002 May; 72: 621-629
- Quantifying changes in material properties of stroke-impaired muscle.Clin. Biomech. 2015 Jan; 30: 269-275
- Muscle material properties in passive and active stroke-impaired muscle.J. Biomech. 2019 Jan; 83: 197-204
- Shear wave elastography potential to characterize spastic muscles in stroke survivors: literature review.Clin. Biomech. 2020; 72: 84-93
- Alterations of elastic property of spastic muscle with its joint resistance evaluated from shear wave Elastography and biomechanical model.Front. Neurol. 2019 Jul 10; : 10
- Cellular mechanisms of tissue fibrosis. 4. Structural and functional consequences of skeletal muscle fibrosis.Am. J. Phys. Cell Phys. 2013 Aug 1; 305: C241-C252
- Inferior mechanical properties of spastic muscle bundles due to hypertrophic but compromised extracellular matrix material.Muscle Nerve. 2003 Oct; 28: 464-471
- Skeletal muscle mechanics, energetics and plasticity.J. Neuroeng. Rehabil. 2017 Dec 23; 14: 108
- The morphology of the medial gastrocnemius in typically developing children and children with spastic hemiplegic cerebral palsy.J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2007 Dec; 17: 657-663
- Two-dimensional and shear wave elastography ultrasound: a reliable method to analyse spastic muscles?.Muscle Nerve. 2018; 57: 222-228
- Ultrasound assessment of the elbow.Med Ultrason. 2012 Jun; 14: 141-146
- Shear waves reveal viscoelastic changes in skeletal muscles after hemispheric stroke.IEEE Trans. Neural. Syst. Rehabil. Eng. 2018 Oct; 26: 2006-2014
- Intra-rater reliability of the modified Tardieu scale to quantify spasticity in elbow flexors and ankle plantar flexors in adult stroke subjects.Ann. Indian Acad. Neurol. 2011; 14: 23
- Passive, intrinsic and reflex-mediated stiffness in the ankle extensors of hemiparetic patients.Brain. 1994; 117: 355-363
- Occurrence and clinical predictors of spasticity after ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2010 Sep; 41: 2016-2020
- Guide to the comprehensive treatment of spasticity.Rev. Neurol. 2021; 45 ([cited 2014 Aug 15]): 365-375
- (2021). Ultrasound Elastography in the assessment of the stiffness of spastic muscles: a systematic review.Ultrasound Med. Biol. 2021; 47: 1448-1464