- •High moment arms are observed on a plane which is not the one from the movement.
- •Position of the glenohumeral joint induces changes in the muscular moment arms.
- •Deltoid is the main elevator.
- •Deltoid act either as an elevator or depressor, while moving the elevation plane.
- •Infraspinatus and teres minor moment arms (sign) changes after 45° of elevation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Moment arms of the muscles crossing the anatomical shoulder.J. Anat. 2008; 213: 383-390https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7580.2008.00965.x
- Moment arms of the shoulder musculature after reverse total shoulder arthroplasty.JBJS. 2010; 92: 1221-1230https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.I.00001
- Effects of high volume upper extremity plyometric training on throwing velocity and functional strength ratios of the shoulder rotators in collegiate baseball players.J. Strength Cond. Res. 2007; 21: 208-215
- Three-dimensional scapulothoracic motion during active and passive arm elevation.Clin. Biomech. 2005; 20: 700-709
- The biomechanics of subscapularis repair in reverse shoulder arthroplasty: the effect of lateralization and insertion site.J. Orthop. Res. 2020; 38: 888-894https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.24531
- Automated muscle wrapping using finite element contact detection.J. Biomech. 2010; 43: 1931-1940https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2010.03.018
- Musculoskeletal model of the upper limb based on the visible human male dataset.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2001; 4: 93-126https://doi.org/10.1080/10255840008908000
- An in vivo technique for determining 3D muscular moment arms in different joint positions and during muscular activation–application to the supraspinatus.Clin. Biomech. 2001; 16: 389-394https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(01)00027-4
- Lateralized reverse shoulder arthroplasty maintains rotational function of the remaining rotator cuff.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 2013; 471: 940-946https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-012-2692-x
- Measurement and description of three-dimensional shoulder range of motion with degrees of freedom interactions.J. Biomech. Eng. 2014; 136084502https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4027665
- Effect of prosthesis design on muscle length and moment arms in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty.Bull. Hosp. Jt Dis. 2013; 71: S31-S35
- The moment arms of the muscles spanning the glenohumeral joint: a systematic review.J. Anat. 2019; 234: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1111/joa.12903
- Comparison between line and surface mesh models to represent the rotator cuff muscle geometry in musculoskeletal models.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2017; 20: 1175-1181https://doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2017.1340463
- Influence of glenohumeral joint muscle insertion on moment arms using a finite element model.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2020; : 1-10https://doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2020.1789606
- Comparison of two methods for computing abduction moment arms of the rotator cuff.J. Biomech. 1997; 31: 157-160https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9290(97)00113-9
- Musculoskeletal Model of the Human Shoulder for Joint Force Estimation.2015
- The effect of muscle loading on the kinematics of in vitro glenohumeral abduction.J. Biomech. 2007; 40: 2953-2960https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2007.02.008
- An analysis of functional shoulder movements during task performance using dartfish movement analysis software.Int. J. Shoulder Surg. 2014; 8: 1https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6042.131847
- Shoulder muscle moment arms during horizontal flexion and elevation.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 1997; 6: 429-439https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(97)70049-1
- The relevance of the moment arm of shoulder muscles with respect to axial rotation of the glenohumeral joint in four positions.Clin. Biomech. 2000; 15: 322-329https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(99)00081-9
- Musculoskeletal parameters of muscles crossing the shoulder and elbow and the effect of sarcomere length sample size on estimation of optimal muscle length.Clin. Biomech. 2004; 19: 664-670https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2004.04.009
- A musculoskeletal shoulder simulation of moment arms and joint reaction forces after medialization of the supraspinatus footprint in rotator cuff repair.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2019; : 1-10https://doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2019.1572749
- Effectiveness of tendon transfers for massive rotator cuff tears: a simulation study.Clin. Biomech. 2004; 19: 116-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2003.09.008
- Adaptations to isolated shoulder fatigue during simulated repetitive work. Part II: recovery.J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2016; 29: 42-49https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2015.05.005
- In vivo estimation of the glenohumeral joint rotation center from scapular bony landmarks by linear regression.J. Biomech. 1997; 31: 93-96https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9290(97)00101-2
- Modeling the effects of musculoskeletal geometry on scapulohumeral muscle moment arms and lines of action.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2019; 22: 1311-1322https://doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2019.1661392
- An investigation into EMG activity in the upper and lower portions of the subscapularis muscle during normal shoulder motion.Physiother. Res. Int. 2006; 11: 148-151https://doi.org/10.1002/pri.336
- Changes in the moment arms of the rotator cuff and deltoid muscles with abduction and rotation.JBJS. 1994; 76: 667-676https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199405000-00007
- Critical analysis of musculoskeletal modelling complexity in multibody biomechanical models of the upper limb.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2015; 18: 749-759https://doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2013.845879
- Scapular upward rotation during passive humeral abduction in individuals with hemiplegia post-stroke.Ann. Rehabil. Med. 2019; 43: 178
- The anterior deltoid’s importance in reverse shoulder arthroplasty: a cadaveric biomechanical study.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2013; 22: 357-364https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2012.02.002
- In vitro biomechanical study of femoral torsion disorders: effect on moment arms of thigh muscles.Clin. Biomech. 2013; 28: 187-192https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2012.12.008
- 3D finite element models of shoulder muscles for computing lines of actions and moment arms.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2014; 17: 829-837https://doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2012.719605
- Pathologic deltoid activation in rotator cuff tear patients: normalization after cuff repair?.Med. Biol. Eng. Comput. 2014; 52: 241-249https://doi.org/10.1007/s11517-013-1095-9
- Rotator cuff injury: addressing overhead overuse.Phys. Sportsmed. 1997; 25: 54-74https://doi.org/10.1080/00913847.1997.11440259
- ISB recommendation on definitions of joint coordinate systems of various joints for the reporting of human joint motion—part II: shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.J. Biomech. 2005; 38: 981-992https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.05.042