- •Mechanical properties of human abdominal fascia were estimated by uniaxial tension tests.
- •Stress–stretch ratio curves with respect to age, sex and direction of loading were obtained.
- •An increase in the mechanical stiffness of the tissue with age was confirmed.
- •As a trend the female samples are stiffer than male samples.
- •The results have application for personalized medicine.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Characterization of the anisotropic mechanical behavior of human abdominal wall connective tissues.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2018; 82: 45-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2018.03.012
- Effect of twoloading rates on the elasticity of the human anterior rectus sheath.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2013; 20: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2012.12.002
- Biomechanical study of the female pelvic floor dysfunction using the finite element method.in: Proc. of the 3rd YIC, GACM Colloquium. 2015
- Surface sliding in human abdominal wallnumerical models: Comparison of singlesurfaceand multi-surface composites.in: Shell Structures: Theory and Applications. 1st ed. vol. 4. CRC Press, 2017: 499-502
- On modelling damage process in vaginaltissue.J. Biomech. 2009; 42: 642-651https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2008.12.002
- Experimental Study of the Human Anterolateral Abdominal Wall:Biomechanical Properties of Fascia and Muscles.(Master’s Thesis) University of Porto, Portugal2012
- Influence of age, sex, and body mass index on the depth of the superficial fascia in the face and neck.Dermatol. Surg. 2019; 45: 1365-1373https://doi.org/10.1097/DSS.0000000000001909
- Collagen in the transversalis fascia of patients with indirect inguinal hernia.Am. J. Surg. 2009; 198: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2008.07.021
- Frequency of abdominal wall hernias: is classical teaching out of date?.JRSM Short Rep. 2011; 2: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1258/shorts.2010.010071
- Viscoelastic behavior of human connective tissues: relative contribution of viscous and elastic components.Connect. Tissue Res. 1983; 12: 59-70
- An evaluation of the posterior wall of the inguinal canal in women.Brit. J. Surg. 1973; 60: 342-344https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800600503
- Measurement of the tensile strength of the ventral abdominal wall in comparison with scar tissue.Clin. Biomech. 2007; 22: 88-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2006.06.002
- Effect of gender, age and anthropometric variables on plantar fascia thickness at different locations in asymptomatic subjects.Eur. J. Radiol. 2007; 62: 449-453https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2007.01.002
- The peritoneum: beyond the tissue – a review.Front. Physiol. 2018; (15 June 2018)https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2018.00738
- Elasticity of the anterior abdominal wall and impact for reparation of the incisional hernias using mesh implants.Hernia. 2001; 5: 113-118https://doi.org/10.1007/s100290100019
- Experimental study of mechanical properties of human abdominal fascia.Med. Eng. Phys. 2011; 33: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2010.07.017
- The influence of gender on the elastic mechanical properties of human abdominal fascia.in: Comptes Rendus de l’Academie Bulgare des Sciences. 66. 2013: 871-876
- Age-related changes in mechanical properties of human abdominal fascia.Med. Biol. Eng. Comput. 2020; 58: 1565-1573https://doi.org/10.1007/s11517-020-02172-2
- Matrix mechanical properties of transversalis fascia in inguinal herniation as a model for tissue expansion.J. Biomech. 2008; 41: 3462-3468https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2008.08.018
- Biomechanical abdominal wall model applied to hernia repair.Br. J. Surg. 2015; 102: e133-e139https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.9687
- Prediction of nonlinear elasticbehavior of vaginal tissue: experimental results and modelformulation.Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng. 2010; 13: 327-337https://doi.org/10.1080/10255840903208197
- Mechanical characterization and constitutive modelling of thedamage process in rectus sheath.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2012; 8: 111-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2011.12.005
- Structural and mechanical aspects of prosthetic herniorrhaphy.J. Biomech. 1976; 9: 435-438https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(76)90085-3
- Site specificity of mechanical and structural properties of human fascia lata and their gender differences: a cadaveric study.J. Biomech. 2018; 77: 69-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.06.018
- The sheath of the rectus abdominis muscle: ananatomical and biomechanical study.Hernia. 1997; 1: 139-142https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02426420
- Meshes: benefits and risks, 2-nd ed.Springer. 2004; https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-18720-9
- Surgical anatomy of the ingvinal area.World J. Surg. 1989; 13: 490-498
- Elasticity of the living abdominal wall in laparoscopic surgery.J. Biomech. 2006; 39: 587-591https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.12.019
- Effect of gender on mechanical properties of the plantar fascia and heel fat pad.Foot Ankle Spec. 2018; 11: 403-409https://doi.org/10.1177/1938640017735891
- Experimental analysis of plantar fascia mehanical properties in subjects with foot pathologies.Appl. Sci. 2021; 11: 1517-1528https://doi.org/10.3390/app11041517
- Abdominal wall muscle elasticity and abdomen local stiffness on healthy volunteers during various physiological activities.J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2016; 60: 451-459https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2016.03.001
- Experimental study of the influence of senescence in the biomechanical properties of the temporal tendon and deep temporal fascia based on uniaxial tension tests.J. Biomech. 2012; 45: 199-201https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2011.09.018
- Implementation of a new constitutive model for abdominal muscles.Comput. Methods Prog. Biomed. 2019; 179 (ar. nr. 104988)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2019.104988
- Inguinal hernia: measurement of the biomechanics of the lower abdominal wall and the inguinal canal.Hernia. 2004; 8: 233-241https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-004-0224-7
- Mechanical properties of human dura mater in tension – an analysis at an age range of 2 to 94 years.Sci. Rep. 2019; 9 (art. nr. 16655)https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-52836-9