- •Stable fixation of osteoporotic proximal humeral fractures remains a challenge.
- •Cement augmentation improves insufficient screw anchoring in locked plating.
- •Cyclic loading showed good primary stability of resorbable cement in this study.
- •Use of resorbable cement may facilitate healing and reduce complications.
- •Clinical confirmation of improved healing is required.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Augmentation of plate osteosynthesis for proximal humeral fractures: a systematic review of current biomechanical and clinical studies.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 2019; 139: 1075-1099
- In vitro temperature evaluation during cement augmentation of proximal humerus plate screw tips.Injury. 2013; 44: 1321-1326
- Where do locking screws purchase in the humeral head?.Injury. 2012; 43: 850-855
- Locking plate fixation with and without inferomedial screws for proximal humeral fractures: a biomechanical study.J. Orthopaed. Surg. (Hong Kong). 2014; 22: 190-194
- The treatment of proximal humeral fracture in adults.Deutsches Arzteblatt Int. 2013; 110: 591-597
- Technical tips: dualplate fixation technique for comminuted proximal humerus fractures.Injury. 2014; 45: 1280-1282
- Epidemiology of adult fractures: a review.Injury. 2006; 37: 691-697
- Fracture site augmentation with calcium phosphate cement reduces screw penetration after open reduction-internal fixation of proximal humeral fractures.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2012; 21: 741-748
- Augmented screws in angular stable plating of the proximal humerus: what to do when revision is needed?.Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon). 2014; 29: 1023-1026
- Biomechanical evaluation of locking plate fixation of proximal humeral fractures augmented with calcium phosphate cement.J. Orthop. Trauma. 2013; 27: 399-404
- The epidemiology of osteoporosis—Bone Evaluation Study (BEST): an analysis of routine health insurance data.Deutsches Arzteblatt Int. 2013; 110: 52-57
- Interventions for treating proximal humeral fractures in adults.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2015; CD000434
- Mechanical effects of bone substitute and far-cortical locking techniques in 2-part proximal humerus fracture reconstruction: a cadaveric study.J. Orthop. Trauma. 2020; 34: 199-205
- Cement augmentation of the proximal humerus internal locking system in elderly patients: a multicenter randomized controlled trial.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 2019; 139: 927-942
- Biomechanical analysis of plate systems for proximal humerus fractures: a systematic literature review.Biomed. Eng. 2018; 17: 47
- JAMA. 2013; 310: 2191-2194
- Effect of cementing technique and cement type on thermal necrosis in hip resurfacing arthroplasty—a numerical study.J. Orthopaed. Res. 2012; 30: 364-370
- Biomechanical comparison of an angular stable plate with augmented and non-augmented screws in a newly developed shoulder test bench.Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon). 2013; 28: 273-277
- Biomechanical effects of calcar screws and bone block augmentation on medial support in locked plating of proximal humeral fractures.Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon). 2014; 29: 735-741
- Is there any advantage in placing an additional calcar screw in locked nailing of proximal humeral fractures?.Orthopaed. Traumatol. Surg. Res. 2015; 101: 431-435
- Influence of plate material and screw design on stiffness and ultimate load of locked plating in osteoporotic proximal humeral fractures.Injury. 2016; 47: 617-624
- Cement augmentation of humeral head screws reduces early implant-related complications after locked plating of proximal humeral fractures.Obere Extremitat. 2018; 13: 123-129
- The effects of bone and pore volume fraction on the mechanical properties of PMMA/bone biopsies extracted from augmented vertebrae.J. Biomech. 2011; 44: 2732-2736
- Does cement augmentation of the screws in angular stable plating for proximal humerus fractures influence the radiological outcome: a retrospective assessment.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 2020; 140: 1413-1421
- Surgical neck fractures of the proximal humerus: a laboratory evaluation of ten fixation techniques.J. Trauma. 1996; 40: 778-783
- Augmentation of a locking plate system using bioactive bone cement-experiment in a proximal humeral fracture model.Geriatr. Orthopaed. Surg. Rehabil. 2018; 9 (2151459318795312)
- The biomechanics of locked plating for repairing proximal humerus fractures with or without medial cortical support.J. Trauma. 2010; 69: 1235-1242
- Absorbable and non-absorbable cement augmentation in fixation of intertrochanteric femur fractures: systematic review of the literature.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 2013; 133: 487-494
- Medial support by fibula bone graft in angular stable plate fixation of proximal humeral fractures: an in vitro study with synthetic bone.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2011; 20: 740-746
- The injury mechanisms of osteoporotic upper extremity fractures among older adults: a controlled study of 287 consecutive patients and their 108 controls.Osteoporos. Int. 2000; 11: 822-831
- Update in the epidemiology of proximal humeral fractures.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 2006; 442: 87-92
- Biomechanical in vitro assessment of screw augmentation in locked plating of proximal humerus fractures.Injury. 2013; 44: 1327-1332
- Screw-tip augmentation versus standard locked plating of displaced proximal humeral fractures: a retrospective comparative cohort study.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2019; 28: 1326-1333
- The effect of osteoporosis management on proximal humeral fracture.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2015; 24: 191-198
- The clinical diagnosis of osteoporosis: a position statement from the National Bone Health Alliance Working Group.Osteoporos. Int. 2014; 25: 1439-1443
- Evidence-based algorithm to treat patients with proximal humerus fractures-a prospective study with early clinical and overall performance results.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2019; 28: 1022-1032
- Open reduction and internal fixation of proximal humeral fractures with use of the locking proximal humerus plate. Results of a prospective, multicenter, observational study.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2009; 91: 1320-1328
- Biomechanical evaluation of hybrid double plate osteosynthesis using a locking plate and an inverted third tubular plate for the treatment of proximal humeral fractures.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0206349
- The effect of in situ augmentation on implant anchorage in proximal humeral head fractures.Injury. 2012; 43: 1759-1763
- Cement augmentation of calcar screws may provide the greatest reduction in predicted screw cut-out risk for proximal humerus plating based on validated parametric computational modelling: augmenting proximal humerus fracture plating.Bone Joint Res. 2020; 9: 534-542
- The mechanical benefit of medial support screws in locking plating of proximal humerus fractures.PLoS One. 2014; 9e103297