- •Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy treated with lower limb compression.
- •Compression treatment had no detectable effect of tested foot sensation.
- •Compression treatment improved measures of static and dynamic balance control.
- •Most patients reported sustained symptom improvements following treatment.
- •Compression treatment warrants further exploration as a neuropathic modality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer Facts and Figures 2019.([WWW document]. URL)
- Chemotherapy Side Effects [WWW Document]. URL.https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/treatment-types/chemotherapy/chemotherapy-side-effects.html(accessed 8.24.20)Date: 2020
- Mobility Lab User Guide [WWW Document].(URL)
- Long-term chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy among breast cancer survivors: prevalence, risk factors, and fall risk.Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2016; 159: 327-333https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-016-3939-0
- Timed up and go test and risk of falls in older adults: a systematic review.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2011; 15: 6-11
- Canadian Cancer Statistics 2019.ON, Toronto2019
- Case report of a patient with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy treated with manual therapy (massage).Support Care Cancer. 2011; : 1473-1476https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-011-1231-8
- Effects of exercise on cancer patients suffering chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy undergoing treatment: a systematic review.Crit. Rev. Oncol. Hematol. 2018; 121: 90-100https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2017.11.002
- A 4, 2, and 1 stepping algorithm for quick and accurate estimation of cutaneous sensation threshold.Neurology. 1993; 43: 1508-1512https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.43.8.1508
- Haemodynamic and cerebrovascular effects of intermittent lower-leg compression as countermeasure to orthostatic stress.Exp. Physiol. 2019; 1790–1800https://doi.org/10.1113/EP088077
- Interpreting the need for initial support to perform tandem stance.Phys. Ther. 2012; 92: 1316-1328
Hou, S., Huh, B., Kim, H.K., Kim, K.H., Abdi, S., 2018. Treatment of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: systematic review and recommendations. Pain Physician 21, 571–592. Doi:10.36076/ppj.2018.6.571.
- Prevention of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy with classical massage in breast cancer patients receiving paclitaxel : an assessor-blinded randomized controlled trial.Eur. J. Oncol. Nurs. 2019; 40: 36-43https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2019.03.002
- Exercise effects on chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: a comprehensive integrative review.Cancer Nurs. 2020; 43: 172-185https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000801
- Reflexology in the management of chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Eur. J. Oncol. Nurs. 2018; 32: 12-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2017.11.001
- Using the timed up and go test to stratify elderly inpatients at risk of falls.Clin. Rehabil. 2006; 421–428
- The timed up and go test: unable to predict falls on the acute medical ward.Aust. J. Physiother. 2004; 50: 249-251https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60115-X
- Acupuncture for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy in breast Cancer survivors: a randomized controlled pilot trial.Oncologist. 2020; 25: 310-318https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2019-0489
- ISway: a sensitive, valid and reliable measure of postural control.J. Neuroeng. Rehabil. 2012; 9: 1https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-9-59
- Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: current status and Progress.Gynecol. Oncol. 2017; 140: 176-183https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2015.11.011.Chemotherapy-Induced
- The timed “up & go” test is a useful predictor of falls in community-dwelling older people.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 1998; 46: 928-929
- The effect of aromatherapy and massage administered in different ways to women with breast cancer on their symptoms and quality of life.Int. J. Nurs. Pract. 2014; 20: 408-417https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12128
- Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neurotoxicity: a critical analysis and Progress.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2013; 63: 419-437https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21204
- Gait assessment in Parkinson’s disease: toward an ambulatory system for long-term monitoring.IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 2004; 51: 1434-1443
- Discriminative ability and predictive validity of the timed up and go test in identifying older people who fall : systematic.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2013; 202–208https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.12106
- Interactive sensor-based balance training in older cancer patients with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: a randomized control trial.Gerontology. 2016; 62: 553-563https://doi.org/10.1159/000442253
- Incidence, prevalence, and predictors of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy : A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2014; 155: 2461-2470https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2014.09.020
- Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the timed up & go test.Phys. Ther. 2000; 80: 896-903
- Effect of duloxetine on pain, function, and quality of life among patients with chemotherapy-induced painful peripheral neuropathy.JAMA. 2013; 309: 1359https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.2813
- Interrater and intrarater reliability of the Semmes-Weinstein monofilament 4-2-1 stepping algorithm.Muscle Nerve. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.24944
- Leg muscle activity during tandem stance and the control of body balance in the frontal plane.Clin. Neurophysiol. 2013; 124: 1175-1186https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinph.2012.12.001
- The association between timed up and go test and history of falls: the Tromsø study.BMC Geriatr. 2007; 7: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2318-7-1
- Assessment of Balance Control in Humans.Medical Progress through Technology. 1990; 16: 31-51
- Unified theory regarding a/P and M/L balance in quiet stance.J. Neurophysiol. 1996; 75: 2334-2343https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.1918.104.22.1684
- Falls, functioning, and disability among women with persistent symptoms of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.J. Clin. Oncol. 2017; 35
- Acupuncture treatment for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy - a case series.Acupunct. Med. 2006; 24: 87-91https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.24.2.87
- Enhanced muscle blood flow with intermittent pneumatic compression of the lower leg during plantar flexion exercise and recovery.J. Appl. Physiol. 2018; 302–311https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00784.2017
- Superficial femoral artery blood flow with intermittent pneumatic compression of the lower leg applied during walking exercise and recovery.J. Appl. Physiol. 2019; 559–567https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00656.2018
- Intermittent compression of the calf muscle as a countermeasure to protect blood pressure and brain blood flow in upright posture in older adults.Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2021; 121: 839-848https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-020-04547-7