- •Hypertonic saline caused experimental knee pain during a land and jump task.
- •This knee pain independently decreased landing vertical ground reaction forces.
- •Knee flexion angle and extension moment decreased due to the knee pain.
- •Hip flexion angle and extension moment increased due to the knee pain.
Biomechanical effects of anterior knee pain are difficult to distinguish from effects of other factors also related to knee injury (e.g., joint effusion). The purpose of this study was to evaluate independent effects of anterior knee pain on landing and jumping biomechanics.
Thirteen healthy participants performed a land and jump movement task, under three experimental conditions (pre-pain, pain, and post-pain), during one data collection session. One 1-ml injection of hypertonic saline into the infrapatellar fat pad was used to induce experimental anterior knee pain during the pain condition. Participant-perceived anterior knee pain was measured every 2 min throughout data collection. Landing and jumping biomechanics were measured and compared between the experimental conditions using a functional statistical approach.
The aforementioned injection increased mean participant-perceived anterior knee pain, from zero during the pre-pain condition to 2.6 ± 0.71 cm during the pain condition. Vertical ground reaction force, knee flexion angle, and internal knee extension moment decreased by approximately 0.100 body weights, 3°, and 0.010 Nm/body weight × body height, respectively, between the pre-pain and pain conditions. Conversely, hip flexion angle and internal hip extension moment increased by approximately 3° and 0.006 Nm/body weight × body height, respectively, between the pre-pain and pain conditions. Several biomechanical changes persisted after anterior knee pain abatement (the post-pain condition).
Anterior knee pain alters landing and jumping biomechanics, independent of other injury-related factors. These altered biomechanics likely change knee joint loading patterns and might increase risk for chronic knee joint injury and/or pathology.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Biomechanics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The nature of anterior knee pain following injection of hypertonic saline into the infrapatellar fat pad.J. Orthop. Res. 2004; 22: 116-121
- Gait adaptations by patients who have a deficient anterior cruciate ligament.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1990; 72: 871-877
- Knee muscle forces during walking and running in patellofemoral pain patients and pain-free controls.J. Biomech. 2009; 42: 898-905
- Handling of impact forces in inverse dynamics.J. Biomech. 2006; 39: 2438-2444
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome in athletes: a 5.7-year retrospective follow-up study of 250 athletes.Acta Orthop. Belg. 1998; 64: 393-400
- Distribution of substance-P nerves inside the infrapatellar fat pad and the adjacent synovial tissue: a neurohistological approach to anterior knee pain syndrome.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 2005; 125: 592-597
- A prospective investigation of biomechanical risk factors for patellofemoral pain syndrome: the Joint Undertaking to Monitor and Prevent ACL Injury (JUMP-ACL) cohort.Am. J. Sports Med. 2009; 37: 2108-2116
- Quadriceps neuromuscular function in women with patellofemoral pain: Influences of the type of the task and the level of pain.PLoS One. 2018; 13: 1-16
- Delayed onset of electromyographic activity of vastus medialis obliquus relative to vastus lateralis in subjects with patellofemoral pain syndrome.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2001; 82: 183-189
- Knee flexion during stair ambulation is altered in individuals with patellofemoral pain.J. Orthop. Res. 2004; 22: 267-274
- Kinematic and kinetic analysis of the single-leg triple hop test in women with and without patellofemoral pain.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2015; 45: 799-807
- Vertical ground reaction forces are associated with pain and self-reported functional status in recreational athletes with patellofemoral pain.J. Appl. Biomech. 2015; 31: 409-414
- Space Requirements of the Seated Operator.1955 (WADC Technical Report (TR-55-159), OH)
- The influence of experimental anterior knee pain during running on electromyography and articular cartilage metabolism.Osteoarthr. Cartil. 2014; 22: 1111-1119
- Patello-femoral arthralgia in athletes attending a Sports Injury Clinic.Br. J. Sports Med. 1984; 18: 18-21
- Q-angle: an invaluable parameter for evaluation of anterior knee pain.Arch Iran Med. 2007; 10: 24-26
- Mechanical factors in the incidence of knee pain in adolescents and young adults.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.). 1984; 66: 685-693
- Longitudinal sex differences during landing in knee abduction in young athletes.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 1923-1931
- Hypertonicity, but not hypothermia, elicits substance P release from rat C-fiber neurons in primary culture.J. Clin. Invest. 1995; 95: 2359-2366
- Joint injury in young adults and risk for subsequent knee and hip osteoarthritis.Ann. Intern. Med. 2000; 133: 321-328
- Sport specialization’s association with an increased risk of developing anterior knee pain in adolescent female athletes.J. Sport Rehabil. 2015; 24: 31-35
- Increased joint loads during walking – a consequence of pain relief in knee osteoarthritis.Knee. 2006; 13: 445-450
- Gait changes in patients with knee osteoarthritis are replicated by experimental knee pain.Arthritis Care Res. 2010; 62: 501-509
- Experimental knee pain reduces muscle strength.J. Pain. 2011; 12: 460-467
- The role of muscles in joint adaptation and degeneration.Langenbeck's Arch. Surg. 2003; 388: 305-315
- Experimental knee pain impairs postural stability during quiet stance but not after perturbations.Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2012; 112: 2511-2521
- Pain induced by injection of hypertonic saline into the infrapatellar fat pad and effect on coordination of the quadriceps muscles.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 70-77
- Experimental pain sensitivity differs as a function of clinical pain severity in symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.Osteoarthr. Cartil. 2013; 21: 1243-1252
- Effect of low pass filtering on joint moments from inverse dynamics: Implications for injury prevention.J. Biomech. 2012; 45: 666-671
- Thin-fibre receptors responding to mechanical, chemical, and thermal stimulation in the skeletal muscle of the dog.J. Physiol. 1977; 273: 179-194
- Risk Factors for Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome: A Systematic Review.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2012; 42: 81-94
- Quadriceps femoris muscle weakness and activation failure in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.J. Orthop. Res. 2004; 22: 110-115
- Comparison of hip and knee muscle moments in subjects with and without knee pain.Gait Posture. 2002; 16: 249-254
- High knee abduction moments are common risk factors for patellofemoral pain (PFP) and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury in girls: is PFP itself a predictor for subsequent ACL injury?.Br. J. Sports Med. 2015; 49: 118-122
- Gait study of patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome.Gait Posture. 1997; 5: 21-27
- Functional analysis of group III afferent fibres of mammalian muscles.J. Physiol. 1960; 152: 250-270
- Quadriceps inhibition induced by an experimental knee joint effusion affects knee joint mechanics during a single-legged drop landing.Am. J. Sports Med. 2007; 35: 1269-1275
- Induced anterior knee pain immediately reduces involuntary and voluntary quadriceps activation.Clin. J. Sport Med. 2013; 23: 19-24
- Functional vs. traditional analysis in biomechanical gait data: an alternative statistical approach.J. Hum. Kinet. 2017; 60: 39-49
- Effects of experimental anterior knee pain on muscle activation during landing and jumping performed at various intensities.J. Sport Rehabil. 2017; 26: 78-93
- Quadricep and hamstring activation during drop jumps with changes in drop height.Phys Ther Sport. 2011; 12: 127-132
- Greater mechanical loading during walking is associated with less collagen turnover in individuals with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am. J. Sports Med. 2016; 44: 425-432
- Biochemical markers of cartilage metabolism are associated with walking biomechanics 6-months following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J. Orthop. Res. 2017; 35: 2288-2297
- The influence of abnormal hip mechanics on knee injury: a biomechanical perspective.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2010; 40: 42-51
- Lower extremity kinetics during stair ambulation in patients with and without patellofemoral pain.Clin. Biomech. 2001; 16: 906-912
- A novel experimental knee-pain model affects perceived pain and movement biomechanics.J. Athl. Train. 2013; 48: 337-345
- Differences in hip kinematics, muscle strength, and muscle activation between subjects with and without patellofemoral pain.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2009; 39: 12-19
- Inhibition of the quadriceps muscles in patients with anterior knee pain.J. Appl. Biomech. 1998; 14: 360-373
- Anterior knee pain in younger adults as a precursor to subsequent patellofemoral osteoarthritis: a systematic review.BMC Musculoskelet. Disord. 2010; 11: 201-208
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome in young women. II. Muscle function in patients and healthy controls.Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports. 1995; 5: 245-251
- Intra-articular knee joint effusion induces quadriceps avoidance gait patterns 11 Presented at the XVII Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics, Calgares, Canada, 8–13 August 1999.Clin. Biomech. 2000; 15: 147-159
- Is anterior knee pain a predisposing factor to patellofemoral osteoarthritis?.Knee. 2005; 12: 362-365
- Lower extremity mechanics of females with and without patellofemoral pain across activities with progressively greater task demands.Clin. Biomech. 2008; 23: 203-211
- Biomechanics of Motor Control of Human Movement.John Wiley & Sons, New York1990
- The relationship between quadriceps muscle force, knee flexion, and anterior cruciate ligament strain in an in vitro simulated jump landing.Am. J. Sports Med. 2006; 34: 269-274
Published online: August 19, 2021
Accepted: August 17, 2021
Received: January 21, 2020
© 2021 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.