- •The results suggest that non-traumatic chronic shoulder pain does not alter the thickness of the tendons.
- •The thickening of the tendon is possibly rather an early traumatic or mechanical loading response.
- •The tendon thickness cannot explain differences in pain perception.
- •The tendon thickness should not be used as an indicator of shoulder pain-function in chronic conditions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A systematic review of the reliability of diagnostic ultrasound imaging in measuring tendon size: is the error clinically acceptable?.Phys. Ther. Sport. 2017; 26: 52-63https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2016.12.002
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Technical Guidelines I.2015
- Ultrasound measurement of rotator cuff thickness and acromio-humeral distance in the diagnosis of subacromial impingement syndrome of the shoulder.Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc. 2008; 16: 408-414https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-007-0443-4
- Dynamic high-resolution ultrasound of the shoulder: how we do it.Eur. J. Radiol. 2015; 84: 266-277https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2014.11.007
- Structural characteristics are not associated with pain and function in rotator cuff tears: the ROW Cohort Study.Orthop. J. Sports Med. 2015; 3: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1177/2325967115584596
- Inflammation activation and resolution in human tendon disease.. 2015; 7: 1-14
- Structural integrity is decreased in both Achilles tendons in people with unilateral Achilles tendinopathy.J. Sci. Med. Sport. 2015; 18: 383-387https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2014.06.004
- Symptoms of pain do not correlate with rotator cuff tear severity: a cross-sectional study of 393 patients with a symptomatic atraumatic full-thickness rotator cuff tear.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2014; 96: 793-800https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.L.01304
- A questionnaire found disease-specific WORC index is not more responsive than SPADI and OSS in rotator cuff disease.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 575-584https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2009.07.012
- Increased palpation tenderness and muscle strength deficit in the prediction of tendon hypertrophy in symptomatic unilateral shoulder tendinopathy: an ultrasonographic study.Physiotherapy. 2009; 95: 83-93https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2008.09.006
- Ultrasound dimensions of the rotator cuff in young healthy adults.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2014; 23: 1107-1112https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2013.11.012
- Histopathology of common tendinopathies: update and implications for clinical management.Sports Med. 1999; 27 (Review. PubMed PMID: 10418074): 393-408
- Real-time sonoelastography in the diagnosis of rotator cuff tendinopathy.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2016; 25: 723-729https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2015.10.019
- Ultrasound measurements on acromio-humeral distance and supraspinatus tendon thickness: test-retest reliability and correlations with shoulder rotational strengths.J. Sci. Med. Sport. 2012; 15: 284-291https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2011.11.259
- Rotator cuff tendinopathy: a model for the continuum of pathology and related management.Br. J. Sports Med. 2010; 44: 918-923https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2008.054817
- Ultrasound measures of supraspinatus tendon thickness and acromiohumeral distance in rotator cuff tendinopathy are reliable.J. Clin. Ultrasound. 2015; 00 (n/a-n/a)https://doi.org/10.1002/jcu.22318
- Supraspinatus tendon and subacromial space parameters measured on ultrasonographic imaging in subacromial impingement syndrome.Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc. 2013; : 1-7https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-013-2542-8
- MRI of symptomatic and asymptomatic full-thickness rotator cuff tears. A comparison of findings in 100 subjects.Acta Orthop. 2010; 81: 361-366https://doi.org/10.3109/17453674.2010.483993
- Statistics corner: a guide to appropriate use of correlation coefficient in medical research.Malawi Med. J. 2012; 24: 69-71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2016.01.020
- Does the acromiohumeral distance matter in chronic rotator cuff related shoulder pain?.Musculoskelet. Sci. Pract. 2017; 29: 38-42https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msksp.2017.02.011
- The acromio-humeral interval. A study of the factors influencing its height.Rev. Chir. Orthop. Reparatrice Appar. Mot. 1996; 82: 379-385
- Statistical measures of reliability.in: Foundations of Clinical Research: Applications to Practice. 2000: 557-586
- Supraspinatus tendon micromorphology in individuals with subacromial pain syndrome.J. Hand Ther. 2017; : 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2017.04.001
- Status of the contralateral rotator cuff in patients undergoing rotator cuff repair.Am. J. Sports Med. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546515571554
- Development of a shoulder pain and disability index.Arthritis Care Res. 1991; 4: 143-149https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1790040403
- Standard reference values for musculoskeletal ultrasonography.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2004; 63: 988-994https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2003.015081
- Epidemiology, natural history, and indications for treatment of rotator cuff tears.Clin. Sports Med. 2012; 31: 589-604https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csm.2012.07.001
- Ultrasonography of the rotator cuff: a comparison of ultrasonographic and arthroscopic findings in one hundred consecutive cases.J. Bone Joint Surg. 2000; 82: 498-504
- A systematic review and pooled analysis of the prevalence of rotator cuff disease with increasing age.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2014; 23: 1913-1921https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2014.08.001
- Ultrasound changes after rotator cuff repair: is supraspinatus tendon thickness related to pain?.J. Shoulder Elb. Surg. 2013; 22: e8-e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2012.10.047
- Mechanisms of tendon injury and repair.J. Orthop. Res. 2015; 33: 832-839https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.22806
- Shoulder disorders in general practice: incidence, patient characteristics, and management.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1995; 54: 959-964https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.54.12.959
- Sonography of the shoulder in patients with tears of the rotator cuff: accuracy and value for selecting surgical options.Am. J. Roentgenol. 1993; 160: 103-107https://doi.org/10.1177/875647939300900224
- Mental health has a stronger association with patient-reported shoulder pain and function than tear size in patients with full-thickness rotator cuff tears.J. Bone Joint Surg. 2016; 98: 251-256
- The demographic and morphological features of rotator cuff disease: a comparison of asymptomatic and symptomatic shoulders.J. Bone Joint Surg. 2006; 88: 1699-1704https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.E.00835
- Changes in morphological and elastic properties of patellar tendon in athletes with unilateral patellar tendinopathy and their relationships with pain and functional disability.PLoS One. 2014; 9: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0108337