- •Patients have normal trapezius activity compared to healthy group during retraction exercises.
- •Retraction exercises do not cause abnormal compensatory trapezius muscle activity.
- •Retraction exercises can be safely used in shoulder impingement exercise programs.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A comparison of scapulothoracic muscle electromyographic activity in subjects with and without subacromial impingement syndrome during a functional task.J. Bodyw. Mov. Ther. 2017; 21: 719-724
- Force steadiness, muscle activity, and maximal muscle strength in subjects with subacromial impingement syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 2006; 34: 631-639
- Shoulder pain and disability index (SPADI).J. Phys. 2011; 57: 197
- Optimal normalization tests for muscle activation of the levator scapulae, pectoralis minor, and rhomboid major: an electromyography study using maximum voluntary isometric contractions.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2015; 96: 1820-1827
- Scapulothoracic muscle activity during elevation exercises measured with surface and fine wire EMG: a comparative study between patients with subacromial impingement syndrome and healthy controls.Man. Ther. 2016; 23: 33-39
- Modifying the shoulder joint position during shrugging and retraction exercises alters the activation of the medial scapular muscles.Man. Ther. 2016; 21: 250-255
- The impact of subacromial impingement syndrome on muscle activity patterns of the shoulder complex: a systematic review of electromyographic studies.BMC Musculoskelet. Disord. 2010; 11: 45
- Normalization of the trapezius sEMG signal–a reliability study on women with and without neck-shoulder pain.Braz. J. Phys. Ther. 2018; 22: 110-119
- Construct and concurrent validation of a new resistance intensity scale for exercise with Thera-Band® elastic bands.J. Sports Sci. Med. 2014; 13: 758
- Trapezius activity and intramuscular balance during isokinetic exercise in overhead athletes with impingement symptoms.Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports. 2007; 17: 25-33
- Rehabilitation of scapular muscle balance which exercises to prescribe?.Am. J. Sports Med. 2007; 35: 1744-1751
- Screening the athlete's shoulder for impingement symptoms: a clinical reasoning algorithm for early detection of shoulder pathology.Br. J. Sports Med. 2008; 42: 628-635
- Conscious correction of scapular orientation in overhead athletes performing selected shoulder rehabilitation exercises: the effect on trapezius muscle activation measured by surface electromyography.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2013; 43: 3-10
- Kinetic chain influences on upper and lower trapezius muscle activation during eight variations of a scapular retraction exercise in overhead athletes.J. Sci. Med. Sport. 2013; 16: 65-70
- Scapular muscular activity with shoulder impingement syndrome during lowering of the arms.Clin. J. Sport Med. 2008; 18: 130-136
- Surface electromyographic analysis of exercises for the trapezius and serratus anterior muscles.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2003; 33: 247-258
- Effect of abducting and adducting muscle activity on glenohumeral translation, scapular kinematics and subacromial space width in vivo.J. Biomech. 2005; 38: 755-760
- Upper to middle trapezius muscle activation ratio during scapular retraction exercise at different shoulder abduction angles.Turkish Journal of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation. 2017; 28: 111-117
- The influence of active scapular retraction on acromio-humeral distance at various degrees of shoulder abduction.J. Athl. Train. 2018; 53: 584-589
- Development of recommendations for SEMG sensors and sensor placement procedures.J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2000; 10: 361-374
- Scapular dyskinesis and its relation to shoulder pain.J. Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg. 2003; 11: 142-151
- Clinical implications of scapular dyskinesis in shoulder injury: the 2013 consensus statement from the ‘Scapular Summit’.Br. J. Sports Med. 2013; 47: 877-885
- Selective activation of intra-muscular compartments within the trapezius muscle in subjects with Subacromial Impingement Syndrome. A case-control study.J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2014; 24: 58-64
- Visual scapular dyskinesis: kinematics and muscle activity alterations in patients with subacromial impingement syndrome.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2015; 96: 298-306
- Alterations in shoulder kinematics and associated muscle activity in people with symptoms of shoulder impingement.Phys. Ther. 2000; 80: 276-291
- Surface electromygraphic analysis of the lower trapezius muscle during exercises performed below ninety degrees of shoulder elevation in healthy subjects.North American journal of sports physical therapy: NAJSPT. 2007; 2: 34
- Anatomical and biomechanical mechanisms of subacromial impingement syndrome.Clin. Biomech. 2003; 18: 369-379
- Scapular muscle-activation ratios in patients with shoulder injuries during functional shoulder exercises.J. Athl. Train. 2014; 49: 345
- On-the-field resistance-tubing exercises for throwers: an electromyographic analysis.J. Athl. Train. 2005; 40: 15
- Precision of measurements of physical workload during standardised manual handling. Part I: surface electromyography of m. trapezius, m. infraspinatus and the forearm extensors.J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2004; 14: 443-454
- Three-dimensional scapular and clavicular kinematics and scapular muscle activity during retraction exercises.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2010; 40: 169-179
- Scapular and rotator cuff muscle activity during arm elevation: a review of normal function and alterations with shoulder impingement.Braz. J. Phys. Ther. 2009; 13: 1-9
- Current concepts in the scientific and clinical rationale behind exercises for glenohumeral and scapulothoracic musculature.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2009; 39: 105-117
- Upper limb motor strategies in persons with and without shoulder impingement syndrome across different speeds of movement.Clin. Biomech. 2008; 23: 1227-1236
- Upper and lower trapezius muscle activity in subjects with subacromial impingement symptoms: is there imbalance and can taping change it?.Phys. Ther. Sport. 2009; 10: 45-50
- The influence of scapular retraction and protraction on the width of the subacromial space. An MRI study.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 1993; : 99-103
- Effect of the Scapula Reposition Test on shoulder impingement symptoms and elevation strength in overhead athletes.J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 2008; 38: 4-11
☆The study protocol was approved by the Hacettepe University Institutional Review Board in Ankara, Turkey (Approval number: GO15/664-27).
☆☆A part of this study was presented at The Second World Congress of Sports Physical Therapy held in Belfast, October 2017.