- •We suggest that change in neck shaft angle and retroversion can prevent scapular notching.
- •We measured shoulder range of motion with change in neck shaft angle (NSA) and retroversion.
- •As NSA and retroversion increase, the amount of adduction deficit also increases.
- •As NSA decreases, amount of total rotation increases.
- •As retroversion increases, amount of internal rotation behind back also increases.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The three-dimensional geometry of the proximal humerus. Implications for surgical technique and prosthetic design.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.). 1997; 79: 857-865
- Grammont reverse prosthesis: design, rationale, and biomechanics.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005; 14: 147s-161s
- Neer award 2005: the Grammont reverse shoulder prosthesis: results in cuff tear arthritis, fracture sequelae, and revision arthroplasty.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2006; 15: 527-540
- Early results of a reverse design prosthesis in the treatment of arthritis of the shoulder in elderly patients with a large rotator cuff tear.Orthopedics. 2002; 25: 129-133
- Arthroscopic treatment of massive rotator cuff tears. Clinical results and biomechanical rationale.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 1991; : 45-56
- Reliability of the glenoid plane.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010; 19: 414-422
- Mechanical complications of total shoulder inverted prosthesis.Rev. Chir. Orthop. Reparatrice Appar. Mot. 2002; 88: 410-414
- The reverse shoulder prosthesis for glenohumeral arthritis associated with severe rotator cuff deficiency. A minimum two-year follow-up study of sixty patients.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2005; 87: 1697-1705
- Massive, irreparable tears of the rotator cuff. Results of operative debridement and subacromial decompression.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1997; 79: 715-721
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty.J. Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg. 2009; 17: 284-295
- Delta shoulder prosthesis for rotator cuff rupture.Orthopedics. 1993; 16: 65-68
- The classic: Delta shoulder prosthesis for rotator cuff rupture.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 1993; 469: 2424
- Humeral component retroversion in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a biomechanical study.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012; 21: 1121-1127
- Biomechanical comparison of component position and hardware failure in the reverse shoulder prosthesis.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007; 16: S9-S12
- Range of impingement-free abduction and adduction deficit after reverse shoulder arthroplasty. Hierarchy of surgical and implant-design-related factors.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2008; 90: 2606-2615
- Evaluation of abduction range of motion and avoidance of inferior scapular impingement in a reverse shoulder model.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008; 17: 608-615
- Effect of deltoid tension and humeral version in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a biomechanical study.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012; 21: 483-490
- Determining humeral retroversion with computed tomography.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2002; 84-a: 1753-1762
- The normal glenohumeral relationships. An anatomical study of one hundred and forty shoulders.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1992; 74: 491-500
- Prosthetic component relationship of the reverse Delta III total shoulder prosthesis in the transverse plane of the body.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008; 17: 602-607
- A multicenter study of 210 rotator cuff tears treated by arthroscopic acromioplasty.Arthroscopy. 1999; 15: 56-66
- Scapular notching in reverse shoulder arthroplasty.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008; 17: 925-935
- Scapular notching in reverse shoulder arthroplasty: is it important to avoid it and how?.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 2011; 469: 2512-2520
- Excentered scapulohumeral osteoarthritis.Rev. Chir. Orthop. Reparatrice Appar. Mot. 2007; 93: 37-94
- Recent experience in total shoulder replacement.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1982; 64: 319-337
- Analysis of a retrieved Delta III total shoulder prosthesis.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.). 2004; 86: 1187-1191
- Biomechanical relevance of glenoid component positioning in the reverse Delta III total shoulder prosthesis.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005; 14: 524-528
- Biomechanical effects of humeral neck–shaft angle and subscapularis integrity in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014; 23: 1091-1098
- Retroversion of the proximal humerus in relationship to prosthetic replacement arthroplasty.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1995; 4: 286-289
- Grammont reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and nonreconstructible rotator cuff lesions.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2001; 10: 17-22
- Three-dimensional analysis of the proximal part of the humerus: relevance to arthroplasty.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2000; 82-a: 1594-1602
- An evaluation of the relationships between reverse shoulder design parameters and range of motion, impingement, and stability.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2009; 18: 734-741
- Debridement of degenerative, irreparable lesions of the rotator cuff.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1995; 77: 857-866
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty.Clin. Anat. 2009; 22: 172-182
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty for the treatment of defect arthropathy.Oper. Orthop. Traumatol. 2005; 17: 1-24
- Predictors of scapular notching in patients managed with the Delta III reverse total shoulder replacement.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2007; 89: 588-600
- Grammont inverted total shoulder arthroplasty in the treatment of glenohumeral osteoarthritis with massive and non repairable cuff rupture.in: Walch G. Boileau P. Mole D. Shoulder prosthesis: two to ten year follow. 2001: 247-252
- Grammont inverted total shoulder arthroplasty in the treatment of glenohumeral osteoarthritis with massive rupture of the cuff. Results of a multicentre study of 80 shoulders.J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.). 2004; 86: 388-395
- Complex and revision in shoulder surgery.in: Warner J.P. Iannotti J.P. Latow E.L. The Reversed Prosthesis. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2005: 497-513
- Biometry.William H. Freeman, New York1995
- Effect of humeral component version on impingement in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011; 20: 652-658
- The relationship between motion of the shoulder and the stated ability to perform activities of daily living.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1998; 80: 41-46
- Delta 3 reversed prosthesis for osteoarthritis with massive rotator cuff tear: long term results (>5 years), in.2000: 253-259
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a review of results according to etiology.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2007; 89: 1476-1485
- Effect of coracoacromial ligament resection on glenohumeral stability under active muscle loading in an in vitro model.Arthroscopy. 2008; 24: 1258-1264
- Treatment of painful pseudoparesis due to irreparable rotator cuff dysfunction with the Delta III reverse-ball-and-socket total shoulder prosthesis.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2005; 87: 1476-1486
- A dynamic shoulder model: reliability testing and muscle force study.J. Biomech. 1995; 28: 489-499
- The SMR reverse shoulder prosthesis in the treatment of cuff-deficient shoulder conditions.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2009; 18: 622-626
☆No author or related institute has received any financial benefit from research in this study. The authors report no conflict of interest.