- •An effective stretching position for the tensor fasciae latae was examined.
- •Shear wave elastography was used as an index to quantify muscle elongation.
- •Hip adduction, extension and >90° of knee flexion is the most effective position.
- •Shear wave elastography is an effective method to investigate muscle elongation.
- •High reliability was confirmed for the measurement of shear wave elastography.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acute effect of static stretching on hardness of the gastrocnemius muscle.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2013; 45: 1348-1354https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3182850e17
- Effect of a 5-week static stretching program on hardness of the gastrocnemius muscle.Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports. 2014; 24: 950-957https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.12111
- Iliotibial band syndrome: soft tissue and biomechanical factors in evaluation and treatment.PM R. 2011; 3: 550-561https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmrj.2011.01.002
- Supersonic shear imaging: a new technique for soft tissue elasticity mapping.IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control. 2004; 51: 396-409https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2004.1295425
- Anatomical and biomechanical investigations of the iliotibial tract.Surg. Radiol. Anat. 2004; 26: 433-446https://doi.org/10.1007/s00276-004-0265-8
- Actions of hip muscles.Phys. Ther. 1986; 66: 351-361https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-198703000-00046
- Validation of shear wave elastography in skeletal muscle.J. Biomech. 2013; 46: 2381-2387https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.07.033
- Iliotibial band friction syndrome—a systematic review.Man. Ther. 2007; 12: 200-208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.08.004
- Evolution of the Koch model of the biomechanics of the hip: clinical perspective.J. Orthop. Sci. 2002; 7: 724-730https://doi.org/10.1007/s007760200130
- Influence of knee positions and gender on the Ober test for length of the iliotibial band.Clin. Biomech. 2003; 18: 77-79https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00168-7
- Human muscle hardness assessment during incremental isometric contraction using transient elastography.J. Biomech. 2005; 38: 1543-1550https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.07.013
- Posture and pain.Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1970 (p 135–8)
- Relationship between shear elastic modulus and passive muscle force: an ex-vivo study.J. Biomech. 2013; 46: 2053-2059https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.05.016
- Quantifying the passive stretching response of human tibialis anterior muscle using shear wave elastography.Clin. Biomech. 2014; 29: 33-39https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2013.11.009
- Quantitative estimation of muscle shear elastic modulus of the upper trapezius with supersonic shear imaging during arm positioning.PLoS One. 2013; 8e67199https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0067199
- The biomechanical variables involved in the aetiology of iliotibial band syndrome in distance runners — a systematic review of the literature.Phys. Ther. Sport. 2014; 15: 64-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2013.07.002
- In vivo measurement-based estimations of the human Achilles tendon moment arm.Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2000; 83: 363-369
- Characterization of passive elastic properties of the human medial gastrocnemius muscle belly using supersonic shear imaging.J. Biomech. 2012; 45: 978-984https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2012.01.009
- Quantitative functional anatomy of the lower limb with application to human gait.J. Biomech. 1987; 20: 51-58https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(87)90266-1
- Time course of changes in passive properties of the gastrocnemius muscle-tendon unit during 5 min of static stretching.Man. Ther. 2013; 18: 211-215https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2012.09.010
- Acute effects of static stretching on muscle hardness of the medial gastrocnemius muscle belly in humans: an ultrasonic shear-wave elastography study.Ultrasound Med. Biol. 2014; 40: 1991-1997https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2014.03.024
- Characterization of muscle belly elastic properties during passive stretching using transient elastography.J. Biomech. 2008; 41: 2305-2311https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2008.03.033
- The role of the iliotibial band and fascia lata as a factor in the causation of low-back disabilities and sciatica.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1936; 18: 105-110
- Functional differentiation within the tensor fasciae latae. A telemetered electromyographic analysis of its locomotor roles.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1981; 63: 1457-1471
- Knee muscle moment arms from MRI and from tendon travel.J. Biomech. 1992; 25: 201-206
- Acute decrease in the stiffness of resting muscle belly due to static stretching.Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports. 2015; 25: 32-40https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.12146
- The effect of hip rotation on shear elastic modulus of the medial and lateral hamstrings during stretching.Man. Ther. 2014; 7–10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2014.07.016
- Magnetic resonance imaging signs of iliotibial band friction in patients with isolated medial compartment osteoarthritis of the knee.Skeletal Radiol. 2009; 38: 871-875https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-009-0704-z
- An anatomic study of the iliotibial tract.Arthroscopy. 2007; 23: 269-274https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2006.11.019
- Assessment of stretching of the iliotibial tract with Ober and modified Ober tests: an ultrasonographic study.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2006; 87: 1407-1411https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.06.007