- •We evaluated dynamic stability control during stepping down in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
- •The degree of dynamic stability control was quantified by calculating the extrapolated center of mass.
- •Patients with high dynamic stability control were able to move their extrapolated center of mass more anteriorly at the initiation of step down.
- •Adequate ankle joint dorsiflexion and plantar flexor torque generation would improve the performance during stair descent.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Deficits in the way to achieve balance related to mechanisms of dynamic stability control in the elderly.J. Biomech. 2008; 41: 1754-1761
- Gait characteristics and lower limb muscle strength in women with early and established knee osteoarthritis.Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon). 2013; 28: 40-47
- Knee pain and osteoarthritis in the general population: what influences patients to consult?.Fam. Pract. 2007; 24: 443-453
- Dynamic stability control in younger and older adults during stair descent.Hum. Mov. Sci. 2012; 31: 1560-1570
- Reliability and concurrent validity of the expanded timed up-and-go test in older people with impaired mobility.Physiother. Res. Int. 2008; 13: 94-106
- Knee and hip kinetics during normal stair climbing.Gait Posture. 2002; 16: 31-37
- Lower extremity joint kinematics during stair climbing in knee osteoarthritis.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 516-524
- Temporal–spatial gait adaptations during stair ascent and descent in patients with knee osteoarthritis.J. Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 1183-1189
- The ‘extrapolated center of mass’ concept suggests a simple control of balance in walking.Hum. Mov. Sci. 2008; 27: 112-125
- Control of lateral balance in walking. Experimental findings in normal subjects and above-knee amputees.Gait Posture. 2007; 25: 250-258
- Knee kinematics and kinetics during locomotor activities of daily living in subjects with knee arthroplasty and in healthy control subjects.Phys. Ther. 1993; 73 (discussion 40–2): 229-239
- Gait characteristics of patients with knee osteoarthritis.J. Biomech. 2001; 34: 907-915
- Contribution of knee adduction moment impulse to pain and disability in Japanese women with medial knee osteoarthritis.in: Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 25. 2010 Elsevier Ltd., England2010: 914-919
- Energetic consequences of walking like an inverted pendulum: step-to-step transitions.Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev. 2005; 33: 88-97
- Quadriceps femoris muscle weakness and activation failure in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.J. Orthop. Res. 2004; 22: 110-115
- The effects of walking speed and prosthetic ankle adapters on upper extremity dynamics and stability-related parameters in bilateral transtibial amputee gait.Gait Posture. 2013; 38: 858-863
- Associations between knee extensor power and functional performance in patients after total knee arthroplasty and normal controls without knee pain.Int. J. Sports Phys. Ther. 2014; 9: 168-178
- Incidence and risk factors for radiographic knee osteoarthritis and knee pain in Japanese men and women: a longitudinal population-based cohort study.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 1447-1456
- Stair negotiation in older people: a review.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2000; 48: 567-580
- Prognosis of limitations in activities in osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a 3-year cohort study.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2010; 91: 58-66
- Overall principle of lower limb support during stance phase of gait.J. Biomech. 1980; 13: 923-927
- Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Movement.in: David A.W. Wiley, Hoboken, N.J2005
- Prevalence of knee osteoarthritis, lumbar spondylosis, and osteoporosis in Japanese men and women: the research on osteoarthritis/osteoporosis against disability study.J. Bone Miner. Metab. 2009; 27: 620-628
- Preoperative predictors of persistent impairments during stair ascent and descent after total knee arthroplasty.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2010; 92: 1130-1136