- •We assessed the biomechanical performance of a hip fracture preventive device.
- •The device increases both load and energy to fracture of the proximal femur.
- •The performance is maintained after 30 load cycles during multiple fall simulation.
- •None atypic fracture was observed during the mechanical tests.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Femoroplasty – augmentation of the proximal femur with a composite bone cement – feasibility, biomechanical properties and osteosynthesis potential.Med. Eng. Phys. 2007; 29 (Sep): 755-764
- Fracture prevention by femoroplasty — Cement augmentation of the proximal femur.J. Orthop. Res. 2011; 29 (Nov): 1753-1758
- Hip contact forces and gait patterns from routine activities.J. Biomech. 2001; 34: 859-871
- Hip fractures in the elderly: a world-wide projection.Osteoporos. Int. 1992; 2 (Nov): 285-289
- During sideways falls proximal femur fractures initiate in the superolateral cortex: Evidence from high-speed video of simulated fractures.J. Biomech. 2009; 42 (Aug 25): 1917-1925
- Evaluation of risk for secondary fracture after removal of a new femoral neck plate for intracapsular hip fractures.J. Orthop. Trauma. 2011; 25: 721-725
- Accuracy of finite element predictions in sideways load configurations for the proximal human femur.J. Biomech. 2011; : 1-6
- Femoroplasty-augmentation of mechanical properties in the osteoporotic proximal femur: a biomechanical investigation of PMMA reinforcement in cadaver bones.Clin. Biomech. 2004; 19 (Jun): 506-512
- Age-dependence of femoral strength in white women and men.J. Bone Miner. Res. 2010; 25 (May): 994-1001
- Femoral neck fracture after removal of the standard gamma interlocking nail: a cadaveric study to determine factors influencing the biomechanical properties of the proximal femur.J. Orthop. Traumatol. 2001; 34: 1519-1526
- Falls in older people — risk factors and strategies for prevention.Cambridge University Press, 2001
- Impact direction from a fall influences the failure load of the proximal femur as much as age-related bone loss.Calcif. Tissue Int. 1996; 58 (Apr): 231-235
- Hip fracture patient at risk of second hip fracture: a nationwide population-based cohort study of 169 145 cases during 1977–2001.J. Bone Miner. Res. 2009; 24 (Jul): 1299-1307
- Subject-specific finite element models implementing a maximum principal strain criterion are able to estimate failure risk and fracture location on human femurs tested in vitro.J. Biomech. 2008; : 356-367
- Physiologically based boundary conditions in finite element modelling.J. Biomech. 2007; 40: 2318-2323
- A biomechanical evaluation of femoroplasty under simulated fall conditions.J. Orthop. Trauma. 2010; 24 (Feb): 95-99
- Patient-specific finite element analysis of the human femur—a double-blinded biomechanical validation.J. Biomech. 2011; 44: 1666-1672
- Augmentation with silicone stabilizes proximal femur fractures: an in-vitro biomechanical study.Clin. Biomech. 2009; 24 (Mar): 286-290
- The effect of impact direction on the fracture load of osteoporotic proximal femurs.Med. Eng. Phys. 2009; 31: 1134-1139